Globus Tour Luggage / Suitcase requirements

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear All:<BR><BR>I was wondering how strict those tour companies are about measurements of the suitcase. I have already purchased a nice suitcase that is slightly above the (30x18x10 inch requirements) of Globus Tour brochure that I received a couple weeks ago.<BR><BR>A friend of mine went on a different company tour and had the same restrictions...she went over and they didn't say anything. I know it just depends on who/when you go with.<BR><BR>It's just that this suitcase is sturdy and has good wheels and I don't plan to go over in weight.<BR><BR>My suitcase measures: 28x19.5x11<BR><BR>Will they charge the $3/day &quot;extra sized&quot; fee for anyone out there? For a two week tour that will be just over $40. Has anyone had this enforced? Do they whip out a ruler?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 08:40 PM

gand: That is a huge suitcase. Even if they aren't strict about oversized bags, I wouldn't take one that large.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 08:55 PM

Hi Gand,<BR>I took a larger than allowed suitcase on a Trafalgar tour the year before last &amp; no-one said anything - it worked perfectly for me as I took it over half empty &amp; brought it back full of shopping!! I'd say it would be highly unlikely they will charge you - good luck!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:39 PM

They might not charge you but be fair and don't make it too heavy. It is nice to have your luggage taken care of eg put outside your hotel room door each morning for them to load onto the coach but on a tour I did, the poor driver had to cope with bags that weighed like they had rocks in them and he was none too happy by the end.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 01:23 AM

On our Globus tour 18 months ago there were some suitcases that seemed the size of refrigerators and no one complained. However, the airline was going to charge us for one suitcase over-weight limit, so be careful of that (suitcase belonged to our teenage son and who knows what was in it, since he packs himself and he carries it - in the end airline decided our 4 suitcases were far under 4 times individual weight limit, so they let it pass)
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 04:26 AM

I don't really think you will have a problem. Your measurements are only slightly bigger and no one will be standing there with a tape measure. So don't worry. I think basically they don't allow the big huge suitcases, but your's will be ok.<BR>Have fun.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 04:35 AM

<BR><BR>I don't know your tour group, or where you're heading. But if it involves getting on smaller airplanes, be aware that weight is a real issue. Several small aircraft crashes have been the direct result of having too much weight on board. Several airlines are seriously considering asking each person how much they weigh (since they have been assuming an average weight of 185 per person, which is, as one can imagine, a wrong assumption.) Weight of luggage is just as important.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:13 AM

My husband brought his hard-side golf case (all of our clothes were in a 26&quot; case), and that was ok, too.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback...I don't plan to go heavy at all. It is pretty easy to manouver. The tour bus has tighter restrictions than the airline company so I was just wondering!<BR><BR>