best route/sites to see on Naxos in one day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all you Greece experts. You'll all be glad when I finally leave for Greece so you don't have anymore of my questions! We have almost two full days on Naxos so I was thinking that on the one full day we could maybe rent scooters (which sounds like fun) or a car and see some of the nice villages and sights not too far from Naxos Town. Any ideas for a good route we should take with sights to see? I understand it's a fairly big island so we don't want to cover a ton - just enough to get a nice taste of the island other than in Naxos Town itself.
Thanks much
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 01:12 PM

We rented an ATV and drove to Apollon. The ride was pretty with mountain views. We stopped along the way at a beach we came upon. Then continued on and had lunch in Apollon at one of the beachside restaurants. It was one of the best meals we had. Large grilled shrimp, grilled octopus, mountain greens. We left the car parked there and hiked into the hills and saw the statue of Kouros then came back and spent time at the beach, It was a great day.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Personally I am way too timid to rent an ATV or a scooter. I have seen too many people toppled over on the side of the road.
We always rent a car.
Naxos is really quite large and the roads are very narrow and go through mountains so a 40 kilometer trip to Apollon is actually a whole day trip. It is not likely you can do the whole island in a day.
Highlight stops for us are Demeters Temple, the villages of Chalki, Apiranthos and a lunch at one of the great tavernas at the bottom of the mountain at Koronos with a late afternoon stop at one of the west coast beaches like Plaka Beach.
Here are pictures of our mountain village day trip last June
http://travel.webshots.com/album/577...uzxSj?start=72
Have fun planning