Reload this Page >

Best Rocky Coastlines??

Search

Best Rocky Coastlines??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Jaime

Best Rocky Coastlines??

I want to see some really dramatic scenery on my next vacation, and I prefer coasts. Does anyone have any recommendations? Someone has recommended Cornwall, England, and Doolith (?), Ireland. Thank you!

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 09:35 AM
Thyra

I second Lands End in Cornwall, outstanding! Also the drive from Nice to Monaco is pretty nice, but not as dramatic.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 09:56 AM
JMM

SCotland - highlands - west coast and Isle of Sky

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 10:03 AM
elvira

Northern Ireland's coast (Giant's Causeway is pretty spectacular; the cliffs by Dunluce Castle and just about anywhere are pretty awe-inspiring) <BR>The D-Day beaches in Normandy (can't get much more dramatic than that) <BR>Coastline drive around Naxos, Greece <BR>Cinque Terre in Italy <BR>Coast of Maine

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 10:13 AM
amg

Italy - the Cinque Terra or the Amalfie Coast

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 10:23 AM
bill

Just got back from six weeks in the UK, <BR>great trip, but for rocky rugged coast <BR>lines and surrounding try western Scotland and up throught the north to <BR>Ullapool and around to Thurso. Great scenery and we lucked out with shirt- <BR>sleeve weather all the way. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. <BR>Bill

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 11:07 AM
Kali

I would definitely reccommend Positano, Italy. Positano is a small town on the Amalfi coast that is built along the coast so it looks almost like an ampitheatre. With its excellent food, wonderful views, and kind, light-hearted people, I would definitely say that Positano is a paradise like none other. Vacationing there was a trully uniqe experience!

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 01:07 PM
Kathleen

Mizen Head in West Cork, Ireland. The rocks there are incredible. Also Achill Island in West Ireland. All of west Ireland is pretty dramatic.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Richard

Using Big Sur as a 10, I'd rate the west coast of Inishmore and the Skellig Islands as 9.9.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 02:24 PM
Sheila

Islay;Mull; Staffa; Applecross; Bullers of Buchan:Cape Wrath; Cliffs of Clo Mor;Hoy;St Abb's Head; Lochinver. <BR> <BR>In other words- Scotland

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 03:14 PM
Richard

Sheila, Sorry you mentioned Applecross, it's a sore point with us. January of 1995 we got a cheap fare from Dallas to Manchester. Rented a car, drove to Windemere and next to Portree. Left after a couple days for Tongue, via Cape Wrath. Sandi, my wife, reads in the guide that only experienced drivers should attempt to drive to Applecross in the winter. Me, I'm David Coulthard, or in those days, Nigel M. Drove up the road, abandoned vehicles, hikers coming down. Reach a point and and a snowplow is hanging perilously off the road, we have to stop and I have to back down to a turn-around. I ask Sandi, do you want to get out? She hesitates, I start backing up, she's terrified and I'm saying "take videos". Anyway, we were fine, made our way to Tongue (another story, ever try to find a room in Tongue in January?) We have some lovely slides of our trip, the shaggy steers on Skye, the not completed bridge from Kyle to Skye and on and on.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 04:31 PM
Paul

Northumbria, Isle of Man, Dover, Cornwall.

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 05:49 PM
Martha

Jaime - <BR> <BR>I just returned from the island of Santorini in Greece - which is the definition of dramatic scenery. The towns are built on top of the caldera (volcano) wall - clinging to the sides for a fair distance down. There's a wonderful 6 mile path along the caldera edge between two towns. And the sunsets are legendary. <BR>Martha <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 11:16 PM
Sheila

Rivhard- last February, I left Applecross after a long leisurely lunch in the Applecross Inn to go to Lochcarron over the Bealach. Bright sunshine. Top of the pass- whiteout1 But we made it. Just call me Nanook of the North.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 01:42 AM
cova

Galicia (Spain): Costa da Morte and Estaca de Bares. <BR>Ireland: Cliffs of Moher and Doonin

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 08:10 AM
Jaime

Thanks for the advice! I've already been to Scotland, so Ireland may be next on the list...

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 08:21 AM
s.fowler

The Norwegian fjords... one of the less dramatic, but beautiful, rocky coasts is near Edvard Grieg's house in Bergen.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 08:29 AM
Bobbie

Another vote for Santorini, it's magnificent!

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 12:27 PM
mwg

Northern & Western Brittany have beautifully rugged coastlines. Point du Raz, Cap Frehel, etc.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 07:51 PM
lola

Amalfi Coast, and the island of Santorini are about the best I can think of.