Reload this Page >

Trip to central and southern Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 11:03 AM
Nancy Huisinga

Group of 5 will be in Italy for 2 weeks staying in Rome. Where else should we go such as Siena, Isle of Capri - any suggestions? Also Rome hotel suggestions?

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 11:35 AM
marty

Since there are five of you, if you use the train, be sure to ask for a mini-group rate. We did this traveling from Venice to Florence and save a lot. We traveled first class, reserved seats, round trip for $25 each. That was a lot less than we had budgeted to pay based on the train system's website.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 11:58 AM
Nancy Huisinga

Any ideas of where to stay in Rome - moderately priced interesting hotels? Also, how long a trip on train from Venice to Florence? And - what would your top picks be of places to go outside of Rome on day trips or overnights?

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 12:54 PM
Don

Here is a good site for good hotels-I'd get near Via Veneto area. <BR>http://venere.it/itan_hotel.html <BR>I'd go to Pompeii, Amalfi coast for a few nights, Sienna (outside of FLorence). <BR>On the train go to www.raileurope.com and check on fares and times of travel-use point to point tickets. <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 01:00 PM
marty

Florence to Venice on Eurostar was 2 hours and 50 minutes.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Jeanette

If it were I, and I sure wish it was- I would definitely hit Positano, Formia and the Amalfi Coast. Someday I hope to spend a couple of weeks just in this area. Pompeii is worth as much time as you can give it. In my opinion hitting the towns on the Amalfi Coast is a better choice than a jaunt to Capri.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 02:37 PM
JoAnn Armato

I am planning a trip to Italy after already having taken a tour of Rome,Florence and Venice and the Tuscan Valley. I am thinking Almalfi Coast and Sicely( roots) and need to talk to someone. I am planning to stay 3 to 4 weeks. Please give advice.. Trip will be next May if its the right time.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 06:55 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

JoAnn, I did a similar trip this spring. <BR>You can read all of the details by going <BR>to www.initaly.com and finding the article called " Navigating with Bob and <BR>Ed in Southern Italy".I think it is under the readers reports section. If <BR>you need my help just holler. <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 08:23 PM
cam

the Santa Chiara is a good choice. Very nice location,walk to just about anywhere. Rooms are small but clean, breakfast ok in hotel but I'd go out, very nice employees and they speak english. If you go to Capri you can walk it alone but cover it entirely to really enjoy it. Pompeii is a must see if you can manage the time. And definitely! take a guide there to really appreciate the history. It was fascinating.