Best Place from which to Explore Crete

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Crete for 4+ days in October. Chania seems highly recommended for charm, proximity to Samaria Gorge, etc. but can we easily and conveniently explore the rest of Crete (Iraklion sites, Ayios Nikolas/NE, Lasithi Plateau, southern beaches, etc.) from Chania? We have two kids - so strong perference is to stay in one hotel for the entire time and make day trips (we will rent a car). Or, should we instead move around and stay in various hotels on the island?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Crete is too large to be explored from 1 spot and for only 4 days. If that's all you have I would stay in Chania, and spend 1 day exploring the town, another for the Samaria Gorge, another for beaches about an hour from Chania, and maybe another for Iraklion. Going to the S. Beaches from Chania would be too much. But you could look into organized day trip options so the driving isn't on you.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your reply. You're completely right!! 4-5 days isn't enough. Given school and work schedules, however, this is all we can manage. (We'll be in Crete almost 5 days and then Athens for 3 days. Should we skim a day off Athens?) Given that it's not really beach weather in late October, perhaps we can explore beaches near Chania (as you recommend) for just a half day and squeeze in another town or site. Sounds as if you'd skip the NE given the time limitations, right?
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:35 AM

I didn't stop in Ayios Nikolaos, but from what I've read it's almost Florida-like, so why bother? It sounds very developed. From my base in the SE I visiting Sitia, Toplou Monastery and Vai Beach (the NE) which I really enjoyed, but that may be too long of a daytrip for you. If you want to be equally distant from the NE & SE you could be based in Irakleio, but most people heare seem to think it totally does not have the charm of Chania. A beach in the NE that I wish I had seem from Chania is Falasarna. Gramvoussa looks nice too.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:37 AM

By the way, I tend to do 3 night stops, so I would probably stay in 2 places for 3 nights each.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:21 AM

Another option and a little more central would be to stay in Rethymno. It is also charming but smaller than Chania. I would avoid being based in Iraklion. I prefer Chania but you could make Chania a day trip. Rethymno is still handy to the Samaria Gorge and closer to some of the historical sites in central Crete. You could get to the beach at Matala from there on the south central coast or Preveli beach/gorge.
http://www.interkriti.gr/fly/index.html
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM

You don't mention the ages of your "kids" so I wonder about all the recommendations to do the Samaria GOrge... it can be a hike of 5-7 hours. If they are under age 10 you might end up carrying them. I wonder if youwant to use up a whole day doing that anyway, with just 4 days. How about a "circle drive" from Chania... drive down the rim of Topolian GOrge .. go up the cliffside to Ag. SOfia (a cave/chapel in side of mountain), go thruough Elos and driwe west to COast... go to Falassarna beach and back to Chania.
OR if you MUST do a gorge (or is it people pressing it on you) try Imbros Gorge... only a 3-4 hour hike down it, & then get taxi backup to car.
Google it -- or look at some guide books,why not?
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I much prefered Chania to Rethymno, but it might be nicer in Oct. with fewer people. I didn't think Iraklio was too bad, and it's certainly a better base for the Arch. Museum and Knossos than Chania. ITA the Samaria Gorge isn't a good idea with small kids - see http://www.west-crete.com/samaria-gorge.htm. Also, not sure how late in Oct. it stays open.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 05:48 PM
Neopolitan

Interesting comments. We spent a full week exploring Crete with stays in Chania (3 nights), Sitia (1 night), Agios Nikolaos (2 nights), and Iraklion (1 night). If we only had 4 nights in all, I'd probably spend them all in Chania. While I enjoyed the rest, the western end of the island was by far our favorite and there is plenty to do with easy driving to the beach at Paleochora, which we found much nicer than any of the other south central beaches we explored.

But at the same time if we had it all to do over again and we only had one full day, the hiking of the Samaria Gorge would be the way I'd spend my day -- that's how much we enjoyed the entire experience.

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:49 PM

Neopolitan - agree the Samaria Gorge is stunning. It's a contender for best experience in my six weeks in Greece. But, not for small kids, and maybe not for people with dicey knees - I thought mine were fine, but both were complaining at the halfway point. Between the distance, the steep downhill at the beginning, and walking over stones towards the end, it's hardly an easy stroll.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:53 PM
Neopolitan

Very true. We were sore, but it was a "good" sore.
I'm not sure what age I'd do a cut off for kids. We passed quite a few in the 8 to 10 range (or rather they passed us).

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 07:12 PM

Yeah, the woman running my hotel in Chania couldn't believe I wasn't limping the next day. Actually, neither could I! Another time I'd love to stay on the south coast - it seemed much more rugged and undeveloped.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Didn't get a chance to logon for a few days and came back to all these great comments and suggestions!! The "kids" are twin 10-year old boys. We've dragged them on many other hikes in the past 2 years and they've been great sports most of the time. They can keep up with us, and in fact love running past us to beat us to various milestones along the way. I know Samaria Gorge is only open until Oct 31 so we are pushing it going Oct 21 (the guidebooks say the last 2 weeks are at discretion of rangers and weather-based) but I think it's worth a try. I went 20 years ago and it was one of my best memories - so stunning! I just don't think I could go to Crete and skip it. Reliving my college days, ya know?

Based on your various comments, I think we will try Chania or Rethymnon and stay based in one place for all four nights - my children are okay with day trips; it's the stability of the hotel that works for us. I think I waited too long to book accommodations so our specific hotel choices may be limited at this point. If you have a favorite place, let me know. Again, many thanks. I'm new to this forum and it's been a pleasure.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Karen - hope you get to do the hike! I stayed at the Porto del Colombo in Chania, just back from the waterfront in the old town. Nice people running it, good breakfast, comfortable and quiet room - but up lots of stairs. See http://www.crete-hotels-rooms.com/Re...el_Colombo.htm
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Neopolitan

We stayed at Casa Delfino, like many other Fodorites. It has the benefit of a number of large rooms and suites or apartments which might really be nice with the boys.
The car most stay in a public lot a couple blocks away, but as I recall that was pretty inexpensive.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 02:40 PM

We recently stayed at the Palazzo di Pietro, a renovated Venetian townhouse just a few blocks from the harbor. How much can I rave about it? It was such a fantastic experience, and the owner of the hotel, "Ms. Christine", made it more so by going out of her way to recommend where to go and what to do in Chania and surroundings.

The hotel has some lovely 2-room suites which may accomodate your family. Each one is decorated with some of Christine's family heirlooms, and the minifridges are stocked with everything from cheese and chocolate to her father's homemade wine!

This was definitely one of the best hotels we stayed at during our our recent 2-week stay in Greece.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Hi,

My boyfriend and I were in Greece last Feb/05, and now planning another 14 day visit to Greece in April/06. We stayed in Crete for 3 days in Heraklion. We had a rental car for 2 days and visited Matala(summer is the best time to go there) and Chania. We were a lil adventurous and took a diff turn goin' back to the hotel just to see what's on the other side of the road and was truly captivated by the people, and scenery: we found a small village that seemed several decades behind the time. Very Charming and an awesome experience.
I'm sure anywhere you go will be a memorable experience! Enjoy.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM

We are leaving the day after tomorrow for Chania and the Palazzo Di Pietro. After much searching and reading everything I could find,this sounded like exactly the place for us. Christine has sent numerous emails and today sent me an email in Greek to give to a taxi driver if I couldn't find one who spoke English. She is a marvel.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:43 PM

johana32,

I think you're going to have a wonderful time! Christine and her family are exceptional hosts, and the hotel is really lovely. Please post about your experiences when you come back!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for great suggestions. We booked a 1BR apartment (sleeps 4 with the kids on pullout sofas) at Casa Delfino (Christine at Palazzodipietro was fully booked) and we are very excited!