Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Suggestion for 8-9 day vacation in October!

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live in Boston and are going to have our first baby in March. I'd like to make it to Europe just the two of us one last time, but we can't leave Boston until Oct 22nd. Can anyone suggest a nice, off the beaten path itinerary that is not too rushed (we have been to Europe a few times, so have seen most of the major sites). We're particularly interested in Switzerland, Italy and Spain suggestions. Many thanks in advance.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Would you consider renting a car for Spain or Italy?

For Italy, I would suggest the Piemonte region but only with a car, or if you want to stick to trains, an itinerary that begins in Milan and includes Verona, Bologna, Ferrara and Ravenna.

For Spain, I would suggest beginning in Barcelona and using a car to tour Girona, Vic and parts of the Costa Brava and hilltowns of Catalonia.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:55 AM

What are your interests? What interest you about Switzerland, Italy and Spain, and what's your budget? It would be best if you listed some perimeters rather than asking for an itinerary at this stage.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:55 AM

How about a driving tour, about 2 weeks, omitting Spain:

Fly to Venice.
Then Bolzano (via Verona and Trento).
Then to Liechtenstein (via Innsbruck).
Then to Luzern (via Zurich, maybe).
Down to Lugano or Como.
Fly home from Milan.

If you don't have 2 weeks, you can head from Liechtenstein to Zurich and fly home from there.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. We really only have 8-9 days, unfortunately. Our interests are seeing smaller towns with an intense feeling of local culture, maybe even staying at an agriturismo in Italy. We would likely rent a car to be able to reach these small towns. I love the mountains, but I realize Switzerland is probably the least favorable choice at this point due to the timing in October. I am very interested in southern Spain and the Umbria/Marche/Emilia Romagna area in Italy.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:34 PM

An October trip to Le Marche would mean getting the best of the local travels if you went to the area of Urbino, especially Acqualagna (and Sant'Agata in Vado has a truffle festival, as do some other towns in that area). By basing yourself in a rural agriturismo or albergo ristorante near Urbino, you could tour the hilltowns of Montefeltro and some of the fortress towns of Le Marche.

For accommodations, I can recommend these:

http://www.neneurbino.com/

http://www.vallenuova.it/en/locanda/casa.htm)

You could split that trip in two to visit parts of Emiglia Romana -- for instance, flying to Bologna, you could visit Ravenna, then drive to Urbino via San Leo). Drop off your car in Ancona and pick up a flight from there.

However, if you carve out any section of Italy in the regions you've mentioned, you can piece together a wonderful trip. If you don't want to rush around, pack in too much.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Sorry for my typo! I meant write "the best of the local truffles"
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

A million thanks for your suggestions. Those agriturismos look incredible, and I like the idea of seeing both Emilia/Romagna and Le Marche.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Have fun planning!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:09 AM

Dear "ties":
My wife Silvia and I are 2 former Providence RI residents and own a quiet & romantic B&B ib Offida, Ascoli Piceno, Le Marche. If you don't mind renting a car, the area is very pleasant and seems to fit the type of vacation you are contemplating.

Your can check us on our website: www.vinoffida.com. We can also recommend you other accomodations in the region if needed.
Good luck!
Jacques
Owner - Nascondiglio di Bacco
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Jacques, what is the weather there like in November or January? We may have to postpone our trip due to my husband's new job and lack of vacation time. Do you suggest an itinerary that includes Le Marche along with one other area? I think it would be nice if we could spend 4 nights in one place, 4 in another - not too far from each other. Thanks, your place looks wonderful.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM

Hi tiesl. I hope your plans work out before you are "grounded" by advanced pregnancy!

I am terrible at posting links, but suggest that you search for a thread titled "MaiTaiTom Pictures Present: Italia Uncensored: The Blog" and follow the link to his very humorous and informative trip report. While his trip was much longer than what you have planned, any one section of it may work nicely for you and your husband.

Best wishes for both a lovely vacation and a happy, healthy baby this spring.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:50 AM

tiesl:

we live in Macerata (Le Marche) and really like the area. It can get kind of foggy in autumn. I like pairing Le Marche with Emilia Romagna, but I prefer Abruzzo, which is even farther off the beaten path with plenty of hill towns too.

I vote for nessundorma's itinterary of Urbino and the Montefeltro area, although you really must make a trip to Ascoli or Macerata while you are there.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:45 PM

Consider Salvadonica just outside San Casciano in Tuscany. I've been to Spain, France and Italy and in my opinion Italy wins hands down. Although there are parts of France where the scenery wins (the Perigord around Sarlat for one), the food in Italy just cannot be beat. Tuscany has so much to offer and October is typically still ok weather wise. Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 03:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
October gets cool in Europe. So for me look at Grenada, Cordoba and Seville. Each city is pretty small in the centre and you can either stay in World wide hotels or little local ones, all will be relatively empty.

If you like driving ok if not try fly to Malaga and then get trains to each. Leave the outskirts and get into the old towns