Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Stay in Heraklion or Go Straight to Chania? Logistics Question...

May 27th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi All - I could really use some help with a logistical question in Crete.

I am arriving into Heraklion by ferry from Santorini on a Friday evening at 7:45PM (assuming the ferry is on time!)

I believe the last bus out of Heraklion to Chania leaves at 9PM and takes about 3 hours...

So, my question is, should I stay overnight in Heraklion and leave first thing in the AM to head to Chania??

Or, do you think it's safe to go straight from the ferry terminal to the bus terminal in Heraklion in an effort to make it in time to catch the last bus? Any idea how far the bus terminal is from the ferry?

I would rather go straight to Chania since there are a couple of things I'd really like to do in the Chania area which only take place on Saturdays....BUT, I don't know if I will be able to make it from the ferry to the bus in time. What do you think??

P.S. I am not going to see Knossos since I have limited time in Chania. With this in mind, there is not much reason for me to stay overnight except that I get in late...

May 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM

<<< BUT, I don't know if I will be able to make it from the ferry to the bus in time. What do you think?? >>>

Unless things have changed recently the buses for Chania left from the bus station right by the harbour. You'd be very unlucky not to be able to catch the last bus
May 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM

The bus is an easy/short walk from the port, you'll make it with time to spare.
May 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback!! This is good news...

With this in mind, the only other reason which I would consider staying overnight in Heraklion is so that I could stop through to visit Reythmnon for a couple of hours on my way to Chania. Is this worth it??

I have limited time in Western Crete, so I have been torn on whether or not I should stop over in Reythmnon or just head straight to Chania...

My itinerary would be:
Day 1 - Full Day in Chania OR Stop through to Reythmon then to Chania
Day 2 - Samaria Gorge OR Crete Village/Countryside Tour
Day 3 - Falasarna or Elafonisi Beach
Day 4 - 2PM in Chania then flight departs for Athens

With this in mind, what do you think about Reythmnon??
May 27th, 2008, 03:46 PM

With so little time I would skip Rethmnon and go straight to Chania.
Although there are some interesting things in Rethmnon particularly the fortezza you do have to really seek them out.
Chania on the other hand is delightful and all the sites are in a compact area and are easy to visit. Better to see one location in depth than two locations superficially.
May 28th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks stanbr! I was leaning toward skipping Reythmnon as well for the exact same reason you mentioned...Thanks for the advice. I just wish I had more time in Crete! So much to do, so little time!
May 28th, 2008, 05:09 AM

imavolio, if you want to do a WALK, not a TREK, you might google Vamos, which is a traditional village near Chania. (it has been 'preserved' by having a number of shops that sell tradtional foods and crafts - perhaps a bit touristy I know, but it has kept the village intact). The ambience is lovely. AND the website lists daily walks they offer to small groups, that go either along the shore or inland up hills, and end at a taverna for lunch or for late-day refreshment. MUCH better than an 8 hour trudge down Samaria following a long line of people, since you have limited time in Crete.