Best Paris Location

Sep 5th, 2001, 12:10 PM
ramblinroze

Best Paris Location

I am going to Paris this summer and would like advice on where the best section is to stay so we can be the closest to the most attractions, and safe on the streets,ect.

Sep 5th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Capo

IMO, most of the attractions -- the major ones anyway -- are centered around the Notre Dame/Louvre "axis", so you'd want a low-numbered arrondisement: 1st through the 7th.

There are 20 arrondisements which spiral out, clockwise, from this "axis." See map at:

http://www.paris.org/Maps/MM/

Sep 5th, 2001, 12:20 PM
zarg

Topped "traveling to Paris" for you

Sep 5th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Mr. Go

Stay on the Ile St. Louis or in the Marais. Walking distance to everything, and crawling distance to the best ice cream on earth!

Sep 5th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Capo

"crawling distance"...*LOL*!!!

I love the ice cream at Berthillon but, if I had to choose, I'd take gelato in Italy anyday.

Sep 5th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Fred

It's not critical at all where you stay as long as you're in the central area. The various areas are right next to each other, across the street from each other. There's no great demarcation line. Everyone has their own favorite area they will argue for. You'll be out and about the whole city anyway, and the city is so easy to get around you can go to most areas quickly and easily for sites, restaurants, etc. The 1st, 4th, parts of the 5th, the 6th, parts of the 7th, 8th - they would all be fine for a first timer. For more Paris information e-mail me [email protected]

Sep 5th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Jean

Getting around Paris is very easy! Subway system is great, and if you have good walking shoes, it's amazing how far you can travel by foot. 1st -thru the 7t is most likely your best bet. Buy a map before you go--I purchased one at Barnes & Noble which was "coated" (can't think of the right word) which fit in my purse easily and made it through the entire trip of 8 days in Paris. Cost about $7.00.

Sep 5th, 2001, 09:42 PM
DeeInLB

We stayed in the 6th when we were there two weeks ago and loved the location. Walking distance to Notre Dame, Latin Quarter, Musee D'Orsay, and it has lots of great cafes and restaurants. The 5th (Latin Quarter) is popular for the same reasons.

Sep 6th, 2001, 06:08 AM
BTilke

Sorry, I am one of those who tells people to avoid the Marais, especially in mid summer. A few reasons: it's unbelievably crowded, to the point where it's almost impossible to walk down the street in some places. Also, if there's a heat wave with corresponding increase in air pollution, the Marais is one of the worst places to be in Paris. The little streets just trap the pollution and a few friends with asthma who insisted on staying in the Marais deeply regretted it.
For summer travel (or any time of year), I suggest the 7th. You're close to plenty of sights (Eiffel Tower, Les Invalides, the Musee d'Orsay) and the streets are wider and tree lined--the air definitely feels cooler and fresher than in the Marais.
Most of Paris is fairly safe, but again, the 7th seems to be less plagued with pickpockets and panhandlers than the Marais and the Latin Quarter. It doesn't have the nightlife of those areas, however, but it does have plenty of nice restaurants and cafes.
BTilke

Sep 6th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Russell

I agree about avoiding the Marais. Too crowded in season. My preference is the 6th, but the better hotels are difficult to get into. The 7th is a reasonable alternative, especially the eastern side, which abuts the 6th.

Sep 6th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Randy

Like most have said, in the center of things is best. I like the 5th or 6th. One thing I feel that is important is that there is a metro stop near the hotel. Once you on the metro you are only a short distance by time to the rest of the city. But some people don't like the metro. You have to make that decision yourself. The suggestion to get a good map is also a great idea. On my copy machine I make copies of various sections of the map and then in the morning I just take the small 8 1/2 X 11 copies of the areas that I plan on being in that day with me. It is a lot easier to look at an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet that unfold a large map while you are on a street corner in Paris. It also folds up and fits in your pocket.

Try these web sites to check out web sites: http://www.parishotels.com/ (this site is organized by areas and has pictures of hotels and rooms) or www.paris.org (on this site many of the hotels have coments of past customers). But I would recommend calling the hotel directly to check availability and fax for confermation rather than ordering through the internet. Also, calling France through 10-10-811 is only about 12 per minute.

Rose, I am sure you will enjoy ramblin the streets of Paris. I will be there myself the first week of October.

Bon Voyage.

Sep 7th, 2001, 11:12 AM
lisa

I've been there 3 times. I like the 6th the best. Great central location, walking distance to most of the major sights, wonderful cafe culture, restaurants, shops, very safe.

Sep 8th, 2001, 09:23 AM
kimbuys

Been 4 times and stayed in the 8th arr. the first two times. Would highly recommend staying in the 1st arr or anywhere near the Place de Madeleine.