Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Offline Transit Apps for Berlin. Prague & Munich

Feb 22nd, 2018, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

There are a lot of apps out there that claim to do transit routes and offline maps. I am having a tough time seeing many with decent reviews. Has anyone had any luck with a smartphone app that will give you routes for transit systems? I am an iPhone user.
Feb 22nd, 2018, 12:17 PM

I assume it works on the Iphone. There is an official train app for Berlin. Likely for Munich. I've used the Berlin one and it works great. For maps use Google maps. Download the cities at home before you leave. If you download in advance the downloads are good for 28 days IIRC.
Feb 22nd, 2018, 03:57 PM

Google Maps offline can't do public transit or walking directions - only walking directions. Buying a SIM is so cheap nowadays that it's best to buy a SIM if you can. Just make sure your phone is unlocked - and if it is locked, it may be possible to unlock it.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:12 AM

I am using MAPS.ME and HERE WeGo. They are offline but you need to feed them with data first. On the other hand tho From Prague to Berlin is easy way. D5 via Usti nad Labem - D5 via Dresden - short on A4 - A13 to Berlin.
Only tricky part is near Dresden when you need to get on A4 (easy) and get off to A13. When you pay attention to the above-head sighns you cannot miss it.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:25 AM

Hi chadwick bearden,

hmm. Not sure I'm getting this. If you only want an offline route/system map, why not use a paper one? Folks used them for decades to get around and figure out the system. You can study them ahead of time online, then when you get there, just pick up a paper map.

If you want an online map, the Munich transit system has an app, which you can search for as MVV app.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Mar 7th, 2018, 03:20 AM

CityMaps2Go has never failed me. Pin your hotels, must sees, and points of interest before you leave and its all there when you arrive.