Reload this Page >

best map for Rome?

Search

best map for Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 10:56 AM
elaine

best map for Rome?

Hi, my beloved Streetwise map series is already failing me for Rome, and I haven't even gotten there yet! My Streetwise Rome just doesn't have the detail I need--too many (small) streets even in central Rome are not shown or are not labeled. A well-meaning friend gave me "MapEasy's Guidemap to Rome" which is essentially useless, although pretty. <BR>I'd like one that has every little street on it, although if possible not one that when opened covers the floor of my hotel room.Perhaps I can't have it both ways. <BR>What are your suggestions?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:07 PM
mode

Have you looked at the Michelin map for Rome? I think most, if not all, streets are on them.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Ed

After 35 years of looking I have yet to find a map of Rome --- in the US --- that has complete detail. Even in Rome they're hard to find. I usually get a fresh one as an early order of business on each visit. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Ed

I might add, you're looking for a map with a minimum scale of 1:12,500 Even at that scale some do not show all the alleyways one might wish.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 01:51 PM
YS

I found Michellin's booklet-style map detailed enough for planning purposes. For walking around the city I prefer the "Pull-Out" map because it is small enough to carry.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:04 AM
az

Elaine-- <BR>Have you tried Italian Govt. Travel Office (ENIT) in Chicago? Best map I have found, and it's free--along w. other less useful brochures. Call 312/644-0990. (Sorry, don't have e-mail address.) <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:13 AM
elaine

az <BR>no I haven't, and I should have! <BR>thanks

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:40 AM
Paul

When in Rome last, I picked up a small (6" x 4" roughly), multi-colored, spiral bound book of detailed street maps of Rome, printed in 6 languages, complete with a street locator index at the back - all for only ITL 9500. I bought it at a newsstand just north of Pza. Navona, but I remember seeing them all over. It's the best one I've ever found.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Gerry

Elaine: <BR> <BR>The map you have will get you through your planing. Wait until you get to Rome and get one there. You'll find lots of choices and at about half of the price you'll spend at home. I was sorry I had gone all over town at home looking at overpriced and inadequate maps. No map will be perfect as Rome is very big and has many small streets. But they don't need to have every street for you to find your way around or get you close enough to the address you want to find. Even if you have a detailed map it's very difficult to translate the paper map to the surroundings you are looking at.(Where is North, South ? etc.) You'll be "lost" anyway. You still have to wander until you find it. <BR>There are lots of cheap tour books available in Italy also for your "collection". <BR>Tip: Just make sure they are in English before you buy it. I and my wife each have a book, purchased in different cities, written in French because we didn't check closely enough before we bought. Does anybody out there read French? <BR> <BR>Have fun being lost, <BR> <BR>Gerry

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Capo

I usually prefer Michelin maps (I love the one for Paris!), but my girlfriend had picked up a Fodor's Citypack guide for Rome, and it had a map included that I preferred to the Michelin map because it had a detailed map of the Centro Storico and was far less unwieldly.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Howard

When I was map searching two years ago, I found Streetwise to be the most complete of any that looked at....at least maps that showed the entire city. It was the only one where I could find the street where my hotel was located. You might be better off with one of those that come in pages/sections. <BR>If you find a better one that Streetwise, let us know!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:16 PM
elaine

Gerry, Howard, <BR>I've always sworn by Streetwise, for <BR>Venice, London, Paris, Florence, Athens. <BR>It's just not good enough for Rome, especially for my pre-trip planning, as I've already discovered. I've tried to locate several (obscure, I guess) churches on my Streetwise map, and the specific streets/piazzas are not on there, or not labeled. There's more Rome than there is map. If it's not good enough for planning in the comfort of my home, I'm afraid it's also not good enough while I'm there to show me where to turn right to find that obscure church! I don't mind getting lost occasionally, I just mind not being able to easily find something I specifically want to see. <BR>I've contacted the Italian Tourist office in New York to see what they can send me, and I'll look for Michelin in my bookstore <BR>thanks all for the suggestions

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:21 PM
Capo

Elaine, check out that map in the Fodor's Citypack guide. I'm a real map fiend and found that one to be very good.

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 01:26 PM
elaine

yes, I will--I didn't really mean to say that I will just look for Michelin, what I meant is that I will browse in my bookstore this weekend among all the maps of Rome, including the Fodor's book (although I already have a Fodor's guidebook and don't really want to buy another one just for the map). If I don't like what I see, I'll wait to see what the Tourist Organization sends, or, just buy one in Rome <BR>thanks again

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Gerry

Elaine: <BR> <BR>Go to www.romaone.com. Click on "Servizi". Then click on the map. Or go to MapBlast website and go to Rome. Best maps I can find on the web. These is good for planning and finding locations but way too difficult to print out in readable form. <BR>I have good maps of Rome that I bought in Rome. I have never seen anything like them here in the SF bay area. To repeat, Rome is a very large city with very complicated streets. None of the tourist maps that I have found in my area cover them all adequatly. Most just show the Cento Storico and most of them not all that well. For example, there are over 800 churches in Rome and many will not show on the maps. If you are looking for a specific site you can often get directions on how to find it in one of the guidebooks. <BR>This research stuff can be a lot of work. <BR> <BR>Good Luck, <BR> <BR>Gerry

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 11:31 AM
robert

Absolute best map I have found is the Michelin spiral-bound 6x4 inch "Roma Atlante Tascabile" with every street, alleyway, etc. Easy to use on-site, too.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 01:37 PM
John

The only advice I can give you is - yes, you definitely need a good map of Rome - after many unsuccessfull tries the way to tell if your map is good is to find another one that looks just like it - if you want twelve different maps of Rome, email me!!!