Reload this Page >

Non-smoking hotel rooms in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 08:59 AM
cliff

Help. I have reservations at three star hotels in Venice, Florence, Rome, and Positano for my honeymoon. None of these hotels say anything about non-smoking rooms. Are there such a thing in Italy? If not do the rooms tend to smell of smoke? What are peoples experience. My fiancee and I are non-smokers and hate the smell of smoke. What can we do? thanks for your help.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Deb

We to, are allergic to smoke and from past experience I can tell you that most hotels over there do not offer nonsmoke rooms. Even the ones that do, are rooms that they have aired out and sprayed except for the extremely expensive top hotels. I suggest buying a bottle of FeBreeze (spelling) and keeping it with you. One bottle of this saved our trip and made it much more enjoyable. Also you can guarantee that you will be eating at all restaurants in pretty heavy smoke so you might want to look into buying a mini air purifier that you can hang around your neck on a strap (can be found at any good travel store or supplier) for both of you. Believe me it really helps !!

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 12:51 PM
cliff

Thanks Deb. two questions what is FeBreeze. Is it just a room deodorizer or something special to deal with smoke odor? do you know where i can get it in California? Any other suggestions re hotel rooms that smell like smoke.thanks again.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Jean Valjean

It is spelled "Febreze". It works very well in absorbing odors in clothing, carpets and furniture. I am completely sure you can find it in your supermarket. <BR> <BR>I don't know if you can find it in Italy, though. Carrying the bottle over the ocean may not be such a good idea. Maybe you could get a smaller bottle with an atomizer, and use that instead. <BR> <BR>Having said that, I haven't had any problems with the smell of cigarette smoke in Italian hotels.

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 01:38 PM
cmt

I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke, but I don't remember having any great problems with smoke odor in hotel rooms except in Hotel Diana in Lucca, where my room was near the front desk and the elderly man who seemed to be there night and day smoked constantly. I think once I had an option of a smoking or nonsmoking room. It may have been in Capo d'Orlando. <BR> <BR>Absolutely the worst-smelling hotel room I've ever been in was in Hotel de las Ferme Lamy in Meyrals in the Dordogne. It was in a converted farm building in a peaceful clean bit of country, but the room had some plug-in chemical deodorizer that made it unfit for habitation. I removed the thing and slept with the door and windows open in cool rainy weather but the smell remained unbearable for two nights.