Best Island in Greece

Search

Best Island in Greece

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Island in Greece

We will travel to Greece in May. Will visit Santorini and Crete. We would like to spend 3 more days in one island that is quiet, not crowded, scenic with beautiful beaches, good hotels and nice walking/hiking. Any recommendation?
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 07:43 PM

Naxos.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 08:31 PM
kja

Another vote for Naxos.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 10:27 PM

Naxos.. loved it... rent a car and drive around it too.. We stayed in the main town just by St Georges beach and rented a car our first visit , the second visit we just took the local bus around..

People are lovely.. whole island is just less commercial than many others as it has a year round population ( unlike some like Mykonos and Santorini that close down end of October and many of the restaurant and business owners go back to mainland till next season.

As for hotels, both times we stayed at the Kymata.. its clean , nice moderate hotel.. family run.. 2 minutes walk to beach, 5 to town and 15 main port .

If you stay at Kymata its worth renting one of the only two rooftop rooms ( they are listed as quads) as the roof top deck is simply amazing.. take a look at photos on tripadvisor or booking.com..

However there are many nice hotels.. some on the beaches.. and prices will be a breath of fresh air after Santorini.
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 11:32 PM

The closest island to Santorini is Ios. Then Naxos, then Paros.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 12:17 AM

I love Naxos but love Paros and Antiparos more! Two islands only a mile apart, with ferries running every 30 minutes. Antiparos has round-island boat trips, including stops at Despotiko, an uninhabited island where a large archeological site is being excavated. If you are lucky you may even see the archeologists at work. Admission is still free, but it will eventually become an open museum like Delos. You can also get to Despotiko by boat from Agios Georgios at the south of Antiparos, but will have to pay for the transport.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 12:23 AM

Nothing will be crowded in May, before the beginning of the beach season.
All depends on your itinerary. In the case you enter and leave Greece via Athens, there are plenty of choices:
all the Islands along the ferry route Santorini - Piraeus: Ios, Naxos, Paros
other Islands that can be reached by ferry from Crete: Kythira (daily planes from there to Athens)
Karpathos (ferry once weekly, direct planes from there to Athens)
Mykonos (daily planes and ferries to Athens/Piraeus/Rafina)
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Good information. We will consider and also have to take into account transportation from and to Athens.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 10:34 AM

YOu need to look at a map - https://www.greektravel.com/maps/greece.html - & a ferry map ; this one is outdated, but at least shows the usual routes - The Greek Island Ferry Route and frequency Chart - The time-tested advice of Greece "Vets" is that, unless you have unlimited time, upon arrival, STAY at airport and take1st available Flight (allow 90 minutes layover) to your farthest point, then use ferries to hop back toward athens... if time is limited the last "hop" might be by plane... AND u should be sure your final night is in Athens or Athens area, to make sure than a transport "glitch" doesn't result in missing your homebound flight.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 04:04 PM
kja

Originally Posted by neckervd
Nothing will be crowded in May
I found Santorini unpleasantly crowded in May.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 05:18 PM

On my May visit to Santorini, it wasn't crowded except during the day when the cruise ships were in port. I spent midday visiting sights away from the main tourist villages of Fira and Oia, so it didn't bother me. Mornings and evenings were fine. I guess it depends on your luck.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, travelerjan, artsnletters and kja. Good advice
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 11:10 PM

Yes, there are certain areas where cruise ship passengers congregate, but elsewhere on Santorini won't be crowded. Perissa and Kamari, the black beach resorts, get busy in July and August when Europeans take their holidays. I doubt many cruisers make it up to Ancient Thera—at least I didn't see any when I was there once in May.

The other Cycladic islands, with the possible exception of Mykonos, will be distinctly uncrowded. Even Mykonos, when you get away from the Old Port and Little Venice area, won't be crowded.
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 02:08 AM

I'm afraid you can't bet Santorini. It's obviously a little crowded but the place is stunning. One day I'll go back and spend the 400 euros a night you need to sit on the hillside in Oia, watching the sun go down whilst sitting in my hot-tub sipping champagne. Amazing place!
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 03:16 AM

I'd try to catch different islands! Every single one is special!
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 06:21 AM

Unlike the other islands mentioned in this thread, Crete is a distinctive society that could be its own country, apart from the tourism that admittedly is a mainstay of the economy. I suggest spending more time there than you might have allowed.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 10:31 AM

One island that turned out to be a gem is Tinos where there are some of the most beautiful villages I've ever been to. Amorgos is another that has it's own kind of appeal as does Chios or Astypalea. I'm one that likes the less "well-known" Greek Islands but some of the ones mentioned so far here have their own uniqueness and beauty.

May will still be off or low season so crowds will not be as much of a factor and prices still good.

Lots of options for Greek Islands so more research on what you are looking for is recommended.

Check out this website for more help:
https://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/

https://www.greecetravel.com/greek-islands/