Reload this Page >

Best French Translation Book?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:35 AM
prettyfatgirl

I am trying to decide upon a good french/english translation book? I am thinking that the Rick Steve's translation book may be good, but I am not sure.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it an actual dictionary you want or just a phrase book?
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:43 PM

What do you mean by "French translation book?" Do you need basic phrases, a dictionary, menu help, all of the above, or what?

From what I've heard of Rick Steves' attempts at speaking foreign languages, I wouldn't expect his book to be much help, but I suppose he has a bevy of experts to help him out with that, so maybe it's ok. Still, I have no idea what you mean by "translation book."
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 08:57 PM

My favorite phrase book is Barron's "French At A Glance". Chock full of other useful information at well.

When deciding, be sure to select one with phonetic pronunciations.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:08 PM

My husband likes Rick Steves Phrase book but mainly because he got it cheap at the
1/2 Price book store! He carries it but never uses it!

I like Langenscheidt " Jiffy Phrasebook". It has essential phrases, a word dictionary, phonetic transcriptions, and it covers many travel situations.

I also carry Langenscheidt "Pocket French Dictionary French to English / English to French". You really do not need this one unless are very interested in the language.

I also carry "The Pocket Guide to French Food and Wine" (I do not know if it is still printed). I love that book it is so small to throw in my bag and I can quickly translate the menus.

There are lots of books that others will recommend too.

Check them out at your local library and see which one is easier for you to use.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 05:33 AM

Rick Steves may not be a whiz at speaking foreign languages, but his FRENCH PHRASE BOOK & DICTIONARY is very good. Has everything (and more) that the average traveler in France would need. Helpful Menu Decoder also.

A smaller one I like is DK Eyewitness Travel Guides French Phrase Book. Very easy to slip in a purse or daybag.