Reload this Page >

best dinner in Lake Como?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 09:32 AM
susan

Having planned my upcoming honeymoon to N. Italy with the help of Fodorites, I would like to have suggestions for a memorable first meal in Varenna (we're staying in a lake front room at the Albergo Milano) or anywhere else along the ferry stops on Como. This doesn't have to be the most elaborate, just well prepared regional cuisine & nice wine (perhaps with some local fish) and good service. We'd like to start off our 2 week stay with a wonderful dinner to remember. Thanks!

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 11:27 AM
susan

If there's not a great stand alone restaurant in Como or Varenna, would anyone recommend a meal at a particular hotel? Or any experiences (negative ones, esp.) with the food at the hotel where're we booked?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Rex

I had the luxury of eating at the "big two" - - and a close runner-up in September 2000 - - Villa d'Este and GHV Serbelloni, plus a "musical serenade" might at the Grand Hotel Victoria in Menaggio. All three were great. The Vd'E was the most gourmet, and the most formal. I think that Serbelloni was the most expensive by a smidge. It felt like the waiter "worked" the head of our group - - he really liked that, and ultimately ordered something very simple (spaghetti bolognese?) and loved it. Perhaps most memorable at both Vd'E and GHVS was after dinner time - - in the "salon" at GHVS, and outside, lakeside at Vd'E. Our waiter at GHV Menaggio was an absolute stand-up comedian, and as much (or more) enjoyable) as the meal. It was good, but not quite as standout as (and probably 30% cheaper than) the other two.<BR><BR>Sorry that none of these is in Varenna.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 12:49 PM
ajs

Susan,<BR><BR>There is a very good restaurant in Varenna called Vecchia Varenna. Be sure to get reservations, and ask to be out on the verandah along the lake. Outstanding ambience, excellent food, and surprisingly affordable (as is most everything we did there). I think dinner with wine and appetizers was about $50.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Joe

susan: Best wishes. In Varenna, try the Vecchia Varenna at the waters edge, just below your hotel. It is in a pretty, open verandah with a marvelous view of the lake and Bellaggio across the water. Good food and wine list, fine service, a little pricey, but worth it. Make reservations at least a week before your intended date. <BR>You will love the views from your lakefront room at Albergo Milano. Have a wonderful honeymoon.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 01:56 PM
travel nut

Thanks Rex--where else have you eaten?<BR>Please tell us more unrelated crap. Will you ever shut up ???

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Rex

&lt;&lt;best dinner in Lake Como?&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;or anywhere else along the ferry stops on Como&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;We'd like to start off our 2 week stay with a wonderful dinner to remember.&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Sorry that my RELEVANT answers are making those sirens go off in your head, nut.<BR><BR>I see that you have nothing to contribute to this thread whatsoever.<BR>

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 05:25 PM
to travel nut

I for one like what Rex has to contribute,as many do. If you don't--- move on, and keep your snappy comments to yourself no one is interested.<BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:52 AM
susan

Thank you to those who actually responded to my questions and gave suggestions. Rex - your answers were relevant because I DID ask for any places along ferry stops. The travelnut should keep the unsolicited and cruel comments to himself! <BR>I'm hoping Vecchia Varenna has a web site as it sounds perfect for our first evening in Italy. Thank you... <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 12:05 PM
Italialover

Sant'Anna 1907 is an excellent restaurant in the city of Como. You could take a cab from the ferry stop. It's on Via Turati 1/3 and phone is 031-505266 <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:20 PM
tim

I hope this is relevant. All the above suggestions are excellant for a great meal. Another place maybe a notch down from the above but very pleasant is the patio at Basilica (sp) in Bellagio. Also you probaly know at the Albergo Milano of the eight rooms four are side lake view and four face directly. The lower two front rooms have huge balconies around 10' x 10', the upper two rooms have a more typical hotel size balcony.