Search

Lake Como - 2 nights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lake Como - 2 nights

Hello

I will be going to Italy on October 10. I will start in Torino for a wedding then headed to Alba for a few days. Before we finish in Milano, we would like to stay a two nights in the lakes area.

We had planned on Lake Como (unless I get comments otherwise) and although we felt that Bellaggio was the place to stay, after reading this forum/reviews, I'm not so sure.

Given the duration (2 nights) and that we'll have a car. What are the recommendations?

Thank you!

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 03:36 PM

I would stay on the west shore at Menaggio with the car. My favorite 4 star in G.H. Menaggio---a smaller 3 star is Hotel Dulac. We will be at Lago Como next Oct. for 2 weeks.
However, if you hope to drive to Malpensa the AM of your departure then consider staying at Lago Orta instead--much closer drive.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Hi Bob,

Can you suggest some restaurants in the Como, Orta, Maggiore, and Lugano areas?

We'll be over there in October as well filming the Lakes.

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Good for you--let me know how it goes and the weather.

In Bellagio, I like 2 places. Bilacus is well known and rightfully so. It is often crowded so make a reservation. A sleeper in this town is a small trattoria named Antico Pozzo http://www.bellagioanticopozzo.eu/en/index.html Very good local fare.
At Varenna, I am told that Vecchia Varenna is very good but we have not eaten there. Read about the fixed price experience at Isola Comacina---the only island in Lago Como. It is a real happening

At Maggiore, you must check out Hotel Verbano on Isola Pescatori--also a nice 3 star hotel. In Stresa, we used to like Papagallo but that has been some years ago.

At Lago Orta the best gourmet food is at the funky Villa Crespi, but I do not like their location.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A hotel we really enjoyed was www.grandtremezzohotel.com

We spent 10 days there and it was an excellent location next door to Villa Carlotta and right across the lake from Bellagio--great views.

One of my favorite restaurants of all time was "Al Velue" in the hills overlooking the lake about 5-10 min. from the hotel.

We travel in Europe every year(heading off to Paris tomorrow), and Lake Como was one of our favorite vacations.