Best castles in Scotland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2023, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m working on an itinerary for Scotland and hope to go this summer if I can find a reasonable airfare. I’d fly into Edinburgh. I’ve already toured that city so I want to head up the east coast and then head towards Inverness. I’ll go as far west as Sky and also explore the Highlands. I’m looking for the best castles with the most access to things like towers, tight staircases, secret passageways, etc.
Already on my list are Dunnottar, Fyvie, Fraser, Crathes and Eilean Donan. I know there are tons of castles across Scotland and only so much time so I’d love recommendations for castles with quirky features and good access to appeal to my inner child. I’ll be traveling solo and have a car. Thank you!
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 10:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"I’d love recommendations for castles with quirky features and good access to appeal to my inner child."

Doune Castle. One of the sites where Monty Python and the Holy Grail was filmed. Buy some coconut shells, prance around and hope the French taunter doesn't yell at you.

Old Apr 9th, 2023, 10:56 AM

Tantallon

Kilchurn

Eilean Donan

Stirling

Dunnottar

Inveraray

Cawdor

Old Apr 9th, 2023, 11:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally wouldn't put Eilean Donan on any top 10 (or top 20) list. It is a beautiful quick photo op but for a visit - sort of meh.

Just a few to add to your list:

Craigievar (which I would prioritize over Fyvie and even Fraser - but definitely all three if you can fit them in).

Huntly has all sorts of clambering up and down spiral staircases etc.

Glamis combined with Edzel. Edzell is a relatively small ruin but has an amazing formal garden. Edzell is one of the several Historic Scotland 'temporarily closed' castles but I'd keep checking to see if/when it reopens. Even if Edzell is closed - Glamis, Dunnottar, and Crathes are an easy threesome since there is less than 60 miles total between all three. Crathes is is a fine castle with interesting interiors but is mostly remarkable for its garden.

Falkland Palace - a 'palace' not truly a castle but a great property and again lovely gardens.

• in the wrong direction from your other listed sites -- but Tantallon and Dirlton are only 6 or 7 miles apart -- Tantallon for its size and location, Dirlton small but lovely with pretty gardens

Culzean - again in the wrong direction.

Cawdor and Brodie -- about 10 miles apart

• Kilchurn is one of my very faves but its another of the 'temporarily closed' properties.

Urquhart is not an overwhelming castle but lots of climbing/exploring and setting right on the shore of Loch Ness makes it memorable.

There are many many more but this list can get you started.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 11:03 AM

Was posting the same time as HOTR.

I didn't mention Stirling because I assumed maybe incorrectly that you have already seen it. If not, definitely include Stirling.

And of course Stirling and Doune are but 8 miles apart so a definite two-fer

Last edited by janisj; Apr 9th, 2023 at 11:06 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the responses. Craigievar was on my list until I saw it’s closed this year.
Huntly does not currently offer any climbing, just first floor. ☹️

Last edited by aggiegirl; Apr 9th, 2023 at 11:56 AM.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 12:07 PM

Oh -- I didn't realize Craigievar is down this year -- too bad. It is one of my favorite properties anywhere.

As for Huntly - I don't see that there is no climbing. Per the website, the top of the tower, the 1st floor and the pit prison are inaccessible. The ground floor, second floor etc. seem to be open as normal.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 02:00 PM

"""• Glamis combined with Edzel. Edzell is a relatively small ruin but has an amazing formal garden. Edzell is one of the several Historic Scotland 'temporarily closed' castles but I'd keep checking to see if/when it reopens.""

We were in Scotland last May, and Glamis was our favorite.

Edzell is my family's castle. I'm a 9th generation Lindsay in America, and when we visited Edzell about 15 years ago, I "announced" myself to the ticket taker. He proudly handed me a small red rock that was from a tower at the castle that collapsed several years ago. I have it here sitting next to my PC. Unfortunately, Edzell was closed last year.

We also enjoyed:
Drummond Castle Gardens (interior not open)
Inverary Castle and Gardens
Cawdor Castle & Gardens
Crathes Castle & Gardens
Blair because it had a period costume exhibit which my wife enjoyed

Ditto janisj on Eilean Donan

Here is a link to my wife's Shutterfly book from that trip.
https://www.shutterfly.com/share-pro...HARPRDWEBMPREM

Click on the image of the book, and on the next screen click on "Full screen". I just posted info on another Shutterfly book about our trip to Alsace, and some folks have not been able to get a "full screen".

We have a second book about Edinburgh also.

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Apr 9th, 2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 02:19 PM

Re Drummond Castle Garden -- It is absolutely a must if you are in the area -- but It isn't a 'castle visit' in any way. It is a magnificent formal garden but there is no entry to either the castle or the house.
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
Re Drummond Castle Garden -- It is absolutely a must if you are in the area -- but It isn't a 'castle visit' in any way. It is a magnificent formal garden but there is no entry to either the castle or the house.
I was correcting my post, as you were posting yours.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 9th, 2023, 02:23 PM

Old Apr 10th, 2023, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Love the pics, Stu!
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

I think I need a month in Scotland! So many choices!
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by aggiegirl
I think I need a month in Scotland! So many choices!

A month this time . . . and a month next time . . . and . . .
Old Apr 10th, 2023, 07:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We enjoyed Scone Palace.

At Crathes we learned that the 11th Baronet, Sir Robert Burnett of Leys, once owned the land on which our house sits in Southern California. He owned about half of the land of present-day Los Angeles and sold it for $40,000 after he inherited his title and returned to Scotland. His adobe house still stands, a couple of miles from LAX. Imagine if he hadn't sold the land...
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 09:06 AM

Threave Castle is my favorite, but is closed while they see if they need to stabilize it
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by bigtyke
Threave Castle is my favorite, but is closed while they see if they need to stabilize it
Historic Environment Scotland uses the same verbiage for all of the many sites that are shut - from Inchmahome to Edzell to Threave to etc -- looks like a cut/paste on all their properties.

"Currently no visitor access to this site.
Due to access restrictions in place as a precautionary measure while we undertake high level masonry inspections, there is currently no visitor access to this site."
Old May 27th, 2023, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

As I’m finalizing my itinerary, I happened to look at the events calendar for Glamis and am dismayed that the day I’ll be passing through is the day of the Highland Games being held on the property. While I’m sure that is a fun event, it will mean crowds, parking problems, etc. so I’m reevaluating my path that day.