Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does Scotland have anything besides castles?????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 01:30 PM
Lynn

Driving from London to Edinburgh to Aberdeen and back again in a week. We will be in Stirling one night and the rest is a blur. The only thing we see in the books is castles and abbey ruins! Is that all there is? Are going this weekend. Help if you can.Thanks.

Old Mar 12th, 1999, 03:38 PM
John

Geez, no, Lynn.. <BR>Except maybe glorious domestic architecture, whisky distilleries, a rich history of people and accomplishments, fishing villages, the Edinburgh Golden Age and modern-day arts scene, Glasgow's Art School and the MacIntosh legacy, not to mention the Clyde's shipbuilding heritage, hill farming and crofting society, one of the most dynamic social and political scenes in modern Europe, great universities and the neighborhoods around them, pubs to die for, full of friendly and funny people....not much else. <BR> <BR>Forgive the snotty tone, Lynn, but why not try different books?

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 02:42 AM
Tony Hughes

Is America just burgers and baseball caps? That's all I see in my travel book i have sitting in my lap, 'The Blinkered Guide to USA' . Who the heck do you think invented, among other things, the television, penicillin, pneumatic tyres, golf, tarmacadam and a whole host of other things that make my nation the place is was and is. <BR> <BR>I need say no more as John has answered your question superbly.

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 05:19 AM
Maira

Lynn, I would make a nice fire out of any book that would convey the idea that the only thing to see in Scotland are castles and old abbeys...(unless the title of the book is "Castles in Scotland"?!). <BR> <BR>Scotland(for what I was able to witness first-hand) has everything for everybody, archaelogical sites (prehistoric park/Iron Age farm in Bennachie, or Skara Brae, the best preserved Stone Age village in Western Europe), art festivals, some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever see, nature trails, amazing literary tradition (in Edinburgh you can visit the restaurant Deacon Brodie, former house of the guy who inspired Robert Louis Stevenson' "Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde"). I saw more children-oriented theme parks and attractions that in any other country in Europe I'd been to. <BR> <BR>Before you go, get a better guide book. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 05:31 AM
bo_jack

Both St. Andrews and Braemar are on that general route and well worth a visit. I neither golf nor toss cabers -- but I enjoyed both. Just keep your eyes open -- there's lots to see and enjoy. If you're traveling by car -- a detour to Holy Island -- south of Edinburgh is quite interesting.

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 06:12 AM
CS

Lynn, Besides the natural beauty of the place, Scotland has one resource that cannot be beaten and that is her people. Surely the warmest sweetest people we have ever met. Forget the castles: a castle is just a castle. Go to pubs and meet the True Treasure of Scotland...the people. CS

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 12:57 PM
elvira

Tony does make a good point. Americans don't know a great deal about the rest of the world, compared to western Europeans. Living here in the Southwest, I've never once seen a foreign visitor in a shiny white 10-gallon hat, a bolo tie with a turquoise slide the size of Omaha, and brand new dungarees with a belt buckle that says "rodeo king". They've NEVER asked me "Where can I see your Indians?" or "are your Indians on the warpath, or is it safe to travel?" No European tourist has ever shoved a map of the southwest in front of my face and asked "is it possible to motor to Los Angeles for a bit of lunch and pop back to Tucson for dinner?" And not a tourist alive has EVER said "I've not seen ONE camel; where are they?" <BR>You Europeans are so much more worldly than that....

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 05:15 PM
Hafidha

Come on folks, don't jump all over Lynn. Give her/him the benefit of the doubt. <BR> <BR>BTW, I would like to hear more about all the things to do in Scotland. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 06:59 PM
Keith

Ditto on the people and the pubs. The best part is that if you go to the pubs, you will surely meet the people. Take time out to visit the pubs and you will not be disappointed. Also, Edinburgh is magical.. If you hike, take the walk to the top of Aurthur's seat.

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 11:18 PM
MrAdvice

BUY A TOUR GUIDE FOR HEAVENS SAKE!