Best areas to stay in Prague and Budapest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While we have traveled to many other parts of Europe, we've never been to Prague or Budapest and just booked a trip there for May 2007. We're flying into Budapest and out of Prague. I would really appreciate your opinion of the best areas to stay in. Since we've never been to either place, we plan to split the trip 4 nights in Prague and 4 nights in Budapest. We're also considering day trips outside of each city. I love to drive and any day trips and our trip from Budapest to Prague will definitely be by car. We're more likely to enjoy architecture, interesting steet scapes and beautiful vistas than museums. At night we want to be in a vibrant area with restaurants, shopping and other people. What can you tell me?
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 03:00 PM

In Budapest, the area around Kalvin ter/Raday utca might suit you. Raday utca is restaurant alley for Budapest, but is as popular with locals as with tourists.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Are you actually planmning to keep the car once you get to Prague? IMO you can find plenty to do within the city rather than taking a day trip but of course, that depends on your interests and how "fast" you travel.

Sorry, I cannot recommend hotels in either city since my own location requirements differ from your own.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:34 PM

My girlfriend and I were in both cities in August of this year.

Budapest was great, although I wouldn't spend days there. We were there for two and felt as though we covered everything we wanted to see.

We stayed at the Hilton Budapest, which is up in the castle district, it was great. I think that it's one of two hotels in that area. It's basically in the middle of all the really old historic buildings, a great area to get lost in (although it's not that big). I would definately stay there again.

In Prague (my favorite city in Europe) we stayed at the Renissance. Again, very convient location, close enough to everything to walk, but not in the middle of everything. The Marriott across the street looked good too. Prague is a very easy to city to get around via foot or subway, I wouldn't even bother with a car.

I personally prefer big chain hotels when traveling to larger cities over seas. I like the consistency and convience of what they can offer. Both of these hotels provided exactly what I was looking for.

Bart
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 05:58 PM

We liked this B&B which was centrally located:

http://www.bellevuebudapest.com/inde...az=1&aaz=0
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 10:24 PM

this feb we flew into Prague and out from Budapest. We stayed in apartments in both cities. So, just me, for Prague we stayed around Old Town area instead of castle area. FOr Budapest we stayed in Pest area instead of Buda area (castle area) as Pest area is more vibrant
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:04 PM

we thouroughly enjoyed the marriot executive apartments. we also got a very good rate there is why we chose it.

some people have been very successful on www.priceline.com for good prices at central hotels.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 02:49 AM

I've been to Prague 5 times so far. the first 4 times were quite a while ago. Last week I came back from my 5th visit. For the first time I stayed at Mala Strana (Lesser Town) district that is underneath Prague Castle. Hotel was rather recently opened Hotel Roma. While most people mentioned above 5* hotels, Hotle Roma was 4*. I got great low season rate €75 per double room, great buffet brekfast for the price included, staff helpful and friendly. 2free PC at the lobby for internet. An aquarium with lots of tropical fish and a small shark (!) was fun. 1 minute walk to Petrin Funicular bottom station, 2 tram stops to Saint Nocolas Church (or 10 min walk), nearby lots of restautants, cafe, (Cafe savoy, Rest.Olypmia, Bagle Cafe, etc) that are not overly corwded with tourists like the ones by Old Town square. The closest bridge was Most Legii (3 minutes walk) but Charles bridge was 10 min walk too. I loved so much this area, I already booked my next visit in the end of January. Only Hotel Roma would cost €160 then so I booked another nearby 3* Residence Mals Strana (€60, even cheaper). Both are well reviewd on Tripadvisor.com. Besides this forum, I advise you to visit there too. I have used venere.com for hotels. You can select hotels according to districs.

Prague is a perfect place for your interests, architecture (so rich!), etc. Although I had 7day tram/metro pass (bought it for my 4day stay) hopped on and off as I pleased, most sites can be reached on foot. Either short distance or if you have to walk for a while you don't get bored on the way thanks to beautiful architecture.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 02:54 AM

However if you want an "area vibrant" (meaning lots of shops, even tourist crowds ?), then you might prefer the Old Town & Vaklavske Square area.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 03:45 AM

Bart wrote:
"Budapest was great, although I wouldn't spend days there. We were there for two and felt as though we covered everything we wanted to see."

What did you want to see? There is plenty to keep people busy and interested for a week in Budapest.

"We stayed at the Hilton Budapest, which is up in the castle district, it was great. I think that it's one of two hotels in that area. It's basically in the middle of all the really old historic buildings, a great area to get lost in (although it's not that big). I would definately stay there again."

It does not fit the question posed which sought a vibrant area. It's generally quiet around the castle hill at night. Personally, I very much dislike the Budapest Hilton without ever having been inside it. It is architecturally intrusive, and about as tasteful as Paris Hilton.

Bart also wrote:
"I personally prefer big chain hotels when traveling to larger cities over seas. I like the consistency and convience of what they can offer."
Both of these hotels provided exactly what I was looking for."

Ouch!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:20 AM

Paris Hilton or Budapest Hilton , hmmm hard choice .....
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:59 AM

We were in April in Budapest for four full days, and we would like to be there longer. There is a lot to see there, there are many places to visit, to walk, many good restaurants.

We do not like Hilton Budapest. It is near old city, but I prefer something near the Danube and near Chain Bridge. We stayed at hotel Victoria because of the above reasons and because I wanted to see from my room the Parliament (day and night). The view was superb, but if I would go again to Budapest, I'll take a hotel on teh other part of Danube (with view to the old town), also near Chain Bridge. Like Marriot, because is closer to Vaci utca and all sightseeing in Pesta.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the info!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 07:34 AM

Hi
We stayed in Prague in 2002. Try www.hotelsprague.cz
We stayed at a place called NEBOCZICEK( Spelling?)and it has only 2 suites with a view of Prague that is absolutely beautiful. You take a vunicualr up to the place. fine restaraunt downstairs,
Have fun
Fudgie

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 08:03 AM

We were in Prague and Budapest two years ago. In Budapest we stayed at the Marriott because it was right on the Danube and when you opened your drapes at night the view of the parliment and castle hill was spectalur. We could walk across the chain bridge to pick up the finicular and stroll along the walk way in front of the hotel. We loved being on the Pest side because it is more accessable and definitely more going on in the evenings. If you have time a must do is the baths. We went to the famous Gellert hotel and it was a highlight of the trip. Get a massage and soak in the baths. Bathing suits required.

In Prague I can't remember I believe the Renissance but whatever the location was wonderful. We were two blocks from Old Town and walked there every night. Could also walk to the Jewish quarter and the shopping streets. Prague is a city where you do not need a car.

By the way if you are driving stop in Melk and see the abby there. It is on top of a hill and magnificant.