Budapest or Prague for a few days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a chance to stop in either Budapest or Prague for a few days after a business conference early this summer. I'm sure that they're both wonderful destinations, but which one would you choose for 3 days? Thanks so much!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:50 AM

It's totally personal preference. I've been to both and prefer Budapest. That said, either city can't go wrong.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:51 AM

I've been to Budapest a couple times - which is a nice city - but EVERYONE says that Prague is the place to go (both Americans and Europeans). I vote for Prague - and then you need to tell us about it.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:59 AM

I'm with laartista, and I don't really know why.

There was something about Budapest that charmed me, though Prague was beautiful, and looked just the way I always thought a European city should look.

If I had the happy chance to choose between the two for a second visit, I would have to say "Budapest."

Byrd
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the quick replies! I will do some research, but which part of the city do you recommend staying in?
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM

We stayed on the Pest side at the Kempinski but we got a really good company discount. Either side Buda or Pest. On the pest side there are a bunch of hotels on the river which provide awesome views day or night.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:00 AM

We stayed in the Gellert Hotel right on the Danube (Buda side). We loved it all--the views, the rooms with views of the river, the location, and the baths.

Byrd
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 08:06 AM

Debi wrote: "EVERYONE says that Prague is the place to go"

Not true; not even true in this, as yet, short thread. I much prefer Budapest.

I prefer to stay, and spend most of my time, on the Pest side. Buda is for looking at; Pest is for being in.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 08:25 AM

We thought Prague was nice, but two days were good enough for us. Others who we know and have visited both Prague and Budapest say that they liked Prague but felt Budapest was much nicer and had more to see.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 09:28 AM

I loved Budapest and can't wait to go back.We were there for 3 days at the start of our river cruise last summer and it was not nearly long enough. I would definitely stay on the Pest side.This is a very easy city to walk around and they also have an excellent public transportation system. Beautiful city,be sure to take a cruise on the river at night.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:32 AM

Have been to Prague 3 times and budapest twice. And while I find Budapest fascinating to me Prague is one of the jewels of europe - and I would go there rather than almost any other city (except perhaps Paris).
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM

I have been to both and would go back to Budapest in an instant.

Prague IMO, is a tourist trap but Budapest is a beautiful City.

I stayed on the Pest side and visited Buda.

Loved it.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM

Here's my 2 cents - Last December we took a whirlwind extended family trip through Eastern Europe. We loved it so much that we plan to repeat it this coming December. We will have less time to visit this trip. When I polled the family as to what we should leave out this time, the vote was unanimous - Prague.

Prague's an interesting place no doubt and maybe even beautiful (hard to tell in bleak, misty December), but I found the people kind of creepy. Sorry, but they seemed skeevey to all of us. From the hotel parking lot attendent who wildly and impatiently directed my 2 meter high van through a garage with a 1.9 meter high ceiling, to the impatient drivers with no regard for speed limits or pedestrian crossings, to the pickpockets we caught red-handed reaching into my wife's bag at Prague Castle, to the unfriendly waiters we encountered in each of 3 places we dined, to the rude pushy folks we bumped into on the subway, to the merchants selling non-licensed NFL, NBA and NHL sportswear right in plain sight, we didn't come away with a very positive impression of the locals. Some of the local shopkeepers (mostly Russians actually) were friendly and helpful, but it seemed most people we encountered were either creepy, sneaky or just plain rude.

Another thread mentioned the fact that waiters in some Prague restaurants lie about whether a service charge was included in the bill. That seems about par for the course.

On the other hand we found the citizens of Budapest to be among the nicest folk we've met in Europe. There are less English-speaking people in Budapest, but even those that didn't speak our language at least smiled and tried to help as we bumbled our way around town. We felt much safer in Budapest than in Prague. The baths in Budapest are simply an incredible experience. We felt we saw all the major sights in 3 days in Prague, while we left Budapest after 3 days knowing that there was much more to see and do. The food was much better in Budapest. As far as shopping, I felt that the merchandise in Budapest was better made and more unique. In other words, when looking for gifts to take home for friends and relatives, I bought most of my stuff in Hungary.

I'll give Prague a decided advantage as far a beer goes, but Hungarian wines and liquers are often highly praised by those with more refined tastes than my own. Both places have easy to use public transportation. With a little work you can easily find pretty good deals on accomodations.

One other word of caution: If you are planning to drive to Prague - DON'T!!!. It is virtually impossible to park in town and the local drivers are real a....... The train station is a pretty good distance from Altstadt Prague and the station itself is downright depressing. I can't comment on Budapest's train station since we never saw it, but parking on the Buda side of the Danube was easy and free.

I've read many places and heard from many people that Prague is "the jewel of Eastern Europe" but I just didn't see it.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:17 PM

Another vote for Budapest. Prague is beautiful but with the mobs of tourists it seemed to me very "Disney". We stayed at the K&K Opera in Pest and really enjoyed it. Great location and wonderful breakfast.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM

And IMHO the food in Budapest is AMAZING!!!!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM

I preferred Budapest to Prague. Prague was beautiful, but overly touristy.

I stayed here: http://www.perfectplaces.com/vacation-rentals/11701.htm. It's in Pest. The location was very convenient (esp. since we were there during Christmas markets, which were right down the street). I really loved the apartment, and it was a much better deal than staying in a hotel.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all the extremely helpful replies. I was last in both Prague and Budapest at the age of 11 (!) and I'm sure both cities have changed dramatically in the last .... ( fill-in-the-blank!) zillion years.

We're really excited about going to Budapest now, thanks to your responses. I'd love to hear restaurant/cafe suggestions, if I haven't asked too much already.

Will post a trip report on our return.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:22 PM

I was just reading Zeus' response about people being creepy in Prague and it reminded me about a crazy incident in Prague. We went to a restaurant, and we ordered soup, which for some reason angered our waiter, who had been acting bizarrely since we got there. And I quote: "THIS ISNT MCDONALDS! We eat meat and potatoes here!" We were then encouraged to leave and he threw paper cups that we had been carrying out after us. So yes, if that man is any indication, some people in Prague were a little off.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:36 PM

bkmg