Best area of Paris

Search

Best area of Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best area of Paris

I have posted once before, and am hoping for this final post. We have narrowed our search to 2 hotels in paris to stay after checking out this site and reading Trip advisor reviews. We have a room at Hotel St. Thomas d'aquin which is centrally located in the Saint Germaine des Pres area on Rue Jacob (6eme) or a room at Hotel Grandes Ecoles which is Located on Rue Cardinal Lemoine near Rue Moffetard(?) in the latin quarter (5eme). Although you may not know the specific hotels, which is the best area for a first time visitor?

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:10 AM

I've stayed in the 5th through 7th districts already and any of them is good for a first time visitor. St. Thomas d' Aquin is located in the 7th although it borders on the 6th.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:10 AM

If you click on your own screen name you will find all the replies to your previous post.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:14 AM

Actually, SFJohn, this is your <b>5th</b> thread on picking aParis hotel.

There's no need to start a new one each time you have something to say- just continue your same thread.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:14 AM

I stayed at the HOtel St Thomas d'Aquin once but about 15 years ago. FYI it is not on rue Jacob, it's on rue Pre aux Clercs.

I think either area is fine for a first-timer, really. I personally prefer the location of the Grandes Ecoles, but others like the other fine. It's not far away, but I like a hotel a little closer to a metro stop than the St Thomas, actually. It's about 4-5 blocks away, although not real long ones. I just prefer the other area a little more, also, as the cafes and restaurants around that location are just a difference ambience and price than I like. I also don't like the atmosphere that much right around the St Germain metro stop (too crowded and too many tourists sitting outside Les Deux Magots, and two many rich dilettantes). But a lot of people do.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM

We stayed in the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles and thought it the perfect location. We asked for a quiet room and were in the back; we looked out on the garden and only heard bird song. The hotel is in a residential area, close to the Place de la Contrascarpe, a nice people-scale plaza. Leading off from the Place is the Rue Mouffetard, which has a market most days of the week. There is a variety of restaurants nearby and a few blocks further is all the action and activity of St Germain des Pres. If you prefer city noise and activity, this may not be the place for you. If you want the feel of living in Paris, not to speak of that nice interior garden, you will like the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:31 PM

Stayed at the Hotel St. Thomas D'Aquin for six nights in May. Loved the hotel and the area. Close to the Louvre, D'Orsay, Seine, etc. Will stay there next time.