Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Besides sleeping off a hangover, what is there to do on New Year's Day in London?

Search

Besides sleeping off a hangover, what is there to do on New Year's Day in London?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Debbie

Hi Everyone!<BR>My friend and I are off to London for 6 days over New Year's (Dec. 26-Jan 2) and can't wait! We've had a blast there in past visits but still need suggestions, specifically some of the off-the-beaten-track variety. (Help me folks, last time I came home armed only with crazy pub stories! My family will think I'm nuts if I don't do some sightseeing this trip.) <BR><BR>We're 2 single girls in our 30's and like the arts, music, shopping, food--and yes, a frosty lager! Any ideas for New Year's Eve? What about the following day? What will be open?<BR><BR>Thanks all!<BR>Debbie<BR><BR>Has anyone stayed at the Royal Lancaster? How's the neighborhood around there? Safe to walk around at night?

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 01:21 AM
ttt

I'd also like some ideas for 1 January.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 03:03 AM
PatrickW

There's usually a big American-style parade in central London around lunchtime on New Year's Day.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Debbie

Hi Patrick!<BR>Thanks for posting? Would you happen to know what kinds of things are open in the city? I realize the trains will be running so I know I'm going to want to get out and about! <BR><BR><BR>Debbie

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Me

Check out the following web site<BR>http://www.londontown.com/

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:41 AM
karen

Debbie<BR><BR>New Years Eve tends to be more of an indoor celebration than dancing on the streets - except for Trafalgar Square, which I hear is going to be closed to the public this New Year anyway. A lot of bars, clubs and pubs will need to be prebooked and either offer packages for entrance, food and drink, or just the price of entrance and you pay when you get inside. <BR><BR>You should be able to book most places on the Internet, a lot of the big clubs have their own web sites. Book ASAP though, the good places will sell out early.<BR><BR>Try:<BR>http://www.toptable.co.uk/feature/nye.cfm - you can book or request info through this site<BR>www.latenightlondon.co.uk - lots of clubs and bars you can book through the site<BR>http://www.liquid-life.com/<BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:35 AM
susan

Debbie:<BR><BR>We spent New Years Eve and New Years in London two years ago and this is what we did:<BR><BR>New Years Eve: Lot's of sight seeing (don't remember the specifics of the a.m./early p.m.) topped off with tea at the Dorchester Hotel (incredible!) in later p.m. A quick trip the the Selfridge's food court provided dinner and champagne was provided by the folks from whom we had rented our apartment. Then we watched the telly--which is exactly what we would have done if we had been home in the states. Besides, we were exhausted by then as we had been travelling for two plus weeks at that point. <BR><BR>New Years Day: We took advantage of the beautiful weather and took a walk over the Thames to the Globe theatre area, walked around some of the neighborhoods closer to the river, picnic lunch next to the river, took a London Walk (I think it was the Dicken's London walk which was very good) and that night we had tickets for a river cruise/dinner. Frankly, the dinner absolutely sucked--the food was horrible. But we weren't expecting fine cuisine (those sorts of places rarely have decent food)and the views from the river were lovely so it was, all around, a very pleasant way to spend the evening.<BR><BR>From the sounds of it it may appear that we are old fuddy-duddies. In reality, my husband and I are in our mid thirties and while this was pretty low-key, given the limited access to so many places, we decided to take advantange of not being able to go anywhere by just being in London neighborhoods and enjoying the art of life. We sort of took New Year's Day off, in a fashion, and didn't rush around to see, see and see some more.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Debbie

Hi Karen, Susan and 'Me',<BR>Thanks for the info and link I appreciate your help.<BR><BR>Susan--I'm not much of a New Year's person normally, but thought when in London, do what the Londoners do! I've penciled the London Walk as an idea. I'm hoping the weather will be ok so we can explore the city a bit. I figure if nothing else, we might just 'happen upon' something!<BR><BR>To all the American posters--Happy Thanksgiving. To the rest of the world, happy Thursday and Happy Hanukkah to my fellow Hanukkah celebrants!<BR><BR>Debbie

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Julie

TTT