New Years in London?

Oct 26th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

New Years in London?

We are visiting London in January, arriving on New Year's Eve. Does anyone know what is interesting to do (cheaply) in London on New Year's Eve? Also, are places (stores, restaurants, museums, tourist sites) open on New Years Day?
Oct 26th, 2005, 08:17 AM

There is a New Year's Day Parade in London with bands, floats, etc, similar to Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in the US.
http://www.londonparade.co.uk/
Nov 17th, 2005, 06:16 AM

Remarkably little in terms of "official" new years eve celebrations in London...at least none announced so far. Last year there was a brief fireworks display near the London Eye. Traditionally, new years eve celebrants--many drunk out of their minds--congregate at Trafalgar Square...join them if you wish.

This year, New Years Day is Sunday, right? So that reduces the number of places that are open. Last year, on a Saturday, we found many stores and sights were open. This year, for example, the British Museum is closed, but the Science Museum is open (at least according to their website). Churches and cathedrals are likely to be open (it IS a Sunday), and many restaurants will be open.

The parade on New Years Day is a big event...a highly Americanized import, to say the least. One word of caution: many American high schools and colleges send large marching band contingents to this parade. You probably don't want to find yourself staying in a London hotel alongside the marching band from the University of Wherever!
Nov 17th, 2005, 06:28 AM

As a londoner I tend to either stay at home or go to my local pub - which is what most of us do.

The centre of London is not a very nice place to be on NYE as all the venues, clubs and pubs will have a ticket only policy - and be sold out, so what you get is large groups of bored, drunk, young people, and that's never a good thing.

Where are you staying? I (or others) may be able to suggest something local.

Nov 25th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Update on official New Years Eve celebrations. There will be a sound and light illumination of buildings along the southbank of the Thames, followed by a 10 minute fireworks display at midnight. This is all best viewed from the Embankment, along the north bank of the Thames, across and downstream from the London Eye.

The Underground will run all night (free after 11.45 p.m. ) UNLESS workers refuse to go along or go on strike...sigh.

Happy New Years...a bit early
Nov 27th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - this information is pretty useful... our plan was just to go to Trafalgar Square and revel with the rest of the drunks. However, we're arriving on December 31st (from Canada) so the jet lag may get the better of us.... We'll just play it by ear.

David, you asked where we are staying - we'll be staying close to Lancaster Gate tube station. Any good pubs in the neighborhood?
Nov 28th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

If anyone else is interested in knowing about New Year's in London, here's a link that may help:

http://www.visitlondon.com/microsite...hristmas2005NA
Dec 12th, 2005, 03:25 PM

I'm going to be in London on NYE, and like you, I've been trying to figure out what to do. If you are looking for something to do earlier in the evening, there is a walking tour (ie. pub crawl) that starts at about 7 or 7:30, the website is london.walks.com (yes, you're reading it correctly, no www.). I've been on a number of their walks and they are usually pretty good.
Dec 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM

to David -- Sorry to add myself on to your offer to the other person, but would you happen to know of any good pubs (and safe, since I'd be by myself) in the area of the Holborn tube stop? Thanks....
Dec 13th, 2005, 07:34 AM

You could do worse than look at the users' comments on www.fancyapint.com. When I used to work in the area a few years ago, I certainly liked the Ship, in the alleyways between Holborn and Lincoln's Inn Fields, which is listed there. You're also very close to Bloomsbury, and although I don't know it well, I'd have thought the Museum Tavern, almost opposite the British Museum, was OK..
Dec 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM

There's a few good pubs near the Holborn tube stop. The ship, as mentioned is nice, even if it is full of lawyers.

The pillars of Hercules in Gt Queen St is very nice - even if it is full of masons (the world HQ of freemasonry is in Gt Queen St) The Cross keys in endell st is nice - even if it is full of Elvis memorabilia.

I used to drink in the Newton in Parker st - nothing special but a friendly local, even if it is full of supermodels (The Elite Model Agency is in Parker St You might even get discovered! (I used to work in the building opposite the model agency which is a hostel for homeless men - it's quite a contrast!)

I'm sorry but I really don't know Lancaster Gate at all, but it is a nice area. maybe some of the others can help. The website mentioned is good, and it might be worth sneaking a peek at CAMRA's Good Beer Guide ina bookshop for suggestions.
Dec 13th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Near Lancaster Gate is the excellent Archery Tavern in Bathurst Mews. Good Hall & Woodhouse beer and a real mix of clientele.
In High Holborn The Citte of Yorke is a decent historic pub and a ten minute walk will take you to The Lamb in Lambs Conduit Street, an almost perfect example of a Youngs pub.
Dec 15th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Get drunk about 6pm... black out until just before midnight. Wake up in the fountain at Trafalgar Square, or in a cell... or in a strangers bed smelling of stale ash and cheap perfume. Breakfast in Albert Square in "The Cafe". Total costbr />
Vodka - $40
Transport - £40
Fine - $75
Stranger's Bed- $75
Breakfast in Albert Square - Priceless!
Dec 19th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Pumbavu--

lol...do you get a choice as to which location in which you awaken?
Dec 19th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Good plan Pumbavu!

As far as we're concerned, we decided to play it by ear... We thought we'd head down to the Embankment for the fireworks, go to Trafalgar Square with the rest of the drunks (perhaps take a nap in the fountain) and then see which pubs would take us in...

The London Walks pub walk sounds pretty good, though... May be worth a try. We're planning to try several London Walks while we're there, so why not another?
Dec 22nd, 2005, 05:43 AM

Tube Strike on New Year's Eve?

London's Underground workers have voted for yet another strike. This one is Dec 31 and January 8.

Talks are continuing, so the strike may be averted, but anyone with plans to use the Tube on New Year's Eve should have backup plans.
Dec 22nd, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning - that's horrible though, especially after the promise of free tube travel on New Year's!
Dec 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM

A nice pub near Lancaster Gate is The Victoria on the corner of Strathern Place/Hyde Park Square. Be sure to try the Fuller's London Pride.