Bernina Express Tirano_Chur and return

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still planning our trip for 2008 in N. Italy. I was thinking to stay some nights in Milan and to visit from there Como lake, Bergamo and Lugano.
Now, I have another idea, because we would like to take Bernina Express also. However, nothing is clear to me, I can not decide where can we stay.
It seems that I can not do Lugano_Tirano_Chur and return in one day.
Also, If I understand that it is not good to stay in Tirano, as the train start in the morning from Chur, and only in afternoon from Tirano.
My problem is that I do not want to change the hotel each day, even not each 2 days. So, where should we stay in order to take for one day Bernina express and to return in the evening? I am looking a place with train acces, not so far from Lugano / Milan.
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM

Hi valtor,

Congratulations for choosing this great trip! This is a spectacular train ride that you'll probably love.

But first, let me say that the trains run from Tirano over the Bernina Pass in the mornings; the "Bernina Express" is only the tourist designation for a specially marketed few. But there are lots of trains that go over the same tracks during the day. For instance, trains leave Tirano at 08.50, 10.50, & 12.50.

Next, I don't think you need go all the way to Chur. The spectacular part of the trip (to me anyway!) is going over the Bernina Pass and going by the glacier -- and that's between Poschiavo and Pontresina. So you need only go as far as Pontresina or maybe St. Moritz if you want to see the lakes.

You can look at all the train schedules at the Swiss rail site,

www.rail.ch

Good luck!

s
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:03 AM

Hi Valtor - For a day-trip your best bet IMO would be to stay on Lake Como - Varenna, Bellagio or Menaggio, I'd say.

You can reach Tirano easily by train from Varenna - and then take the Bernina Express over to San Moritz.

From San Moritz you can return to Lake Como by bus (- the Swiss postbus runs a San Moritz-Menaggio-Lugano service).

Varenna, Bellagio or Varenna are all convenient for day-trips to Bergamo and Lugano too.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 08:01 AM

bookmarking
Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Swan and Steve! I did not know that I can take another (normal) train on the same route. Also, your advice about most scenic part of the route is a very important info for me.

I am now checking the train table and accommodation options in Varenna.

Thank you again.