Bernina Express Stops

Search

Bernina Express Stops

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bernina Express Stops

This is my first post! I have got heaps of info from these forums so thanks to all who contribute. We leave in a week and I have 2 last minute questions! We are travelling by train from Varenna to Lucerne via the Bernina Express (probably just on a normal train due to timetables) on 8th November. As this is a long train travel day, we are thinking of breaking it up with a stop somewhere along the Bernina express line - is this a good idea? if so, can you please recommend where we should stop and what to do there? (short walks, good views etc). We could probably stop for 2-3 hrs max?

Also, if we are just going on normal trains do we have to book tickets in advance or just buy at each station? In otherwords, can we decide on the spot where to stop and then just buy a ticket to continue on?

Please help me! I'm a little stressed with the last minute planning!
Thanks! Draff
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM

Hi Draff,

Train tickets are good for 24 hours usually, so you can buy a ticket for the whole journey and hop on and off as you want.

There are really lots of options for stops along the way. I would suggest either the town of Poschiavo or the glacier-stop of Alp Grum. Poschiavo is a very sweet little Italian-flavored town filled with awning-covered cafes and folks strolling the streets and the square. It would be a great place to spend time. Alp Grum is just a stop at the top of the mountain, where you can grab a snack or a drink at the cafe and gaze at the glacier there. There are hiking trails on either side of the stop, but I haven't tried any of them.

Oh, a third option would be "Le Presse," which is the stop at Lake Poschiavo.

Have fun!

s
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Swandav2000 - this is exactly the kind of info we needed! Very helpful!

We are probably leaning toward the glacier views so Alp Grum sounds good. But the other 2 options are also tempting. Its good to know we can hope on and off as we like.

Can we just buy our tickets from Varenna for the whole trip?

Thanks again
Draff
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Another vote for Poschiavo.
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just did this last week. We took the train from Pontresina to Poschiavo, stayed an hour, and then returned to Pontresina.

In Poschiavo, we walked to the town center, looked at the church and the building with skulls across from it and then sat in the town square and enjoyed a nice coffee. I wouldn't spend more than two hours in Poschiavo.

I wish we would have had time to take the Bernina Diavolezza gondola. It looked very enticing.

Alp Grüm looks like a nice stop too but might be quite chilly in November (or not, who knows?)

http://www.signalsoft.ch/bernina_express.htm
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses to my last minute query! Very much appreciated! I think we are going to decide on the spot between Poschiavo and Alp Grum depending on the weather. Can't wait to go! Thanks again, Draff.