Berner Oberland Comments

Search

Berner Oberland Comments

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2003, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berner Oberland Comments

We just returned from a Europe trip and the highlight was definitely seeing this beautiful region. I discovered it through this site thanks to posters like Bob Brown(Bob, I was formerly Don) along with many others who provided details of their own personal experiences. We stayed in Wengen at the Falken hotel- a charming hotel that I would recommend to anyone. At night from the front of the hotel I could see up on a ridge, across from us, lights from a small village- Murren perhaps?? The merchants in Wengen were very friendly and helpful. Again thanks to all who take the time to write those informative posts. I can't wait to return!
Old May 1st, 2003, 05:37 AM

Don, if the lights were to your right(valley inwards or taleinwarts as the Swiss say)and about the same level as you, it was probably Muerren. Isenfluh is so small I don't think you would notice it, and it would be just about directly opposite.

I will be back in September for another visit. We found a good place in that valley. People ask me why I don't go elsewhere in Europe. My response is "why?"
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:44 AM

OOPS. Talk about not knowing your right from your left, and possibly down from up, I blew that one.

If one is positioned in Wengen and looking over the Lauterbrunnen, Muerren is to the LEFT. When I look east out of my apartment window in Lauterbrunnen, I can see the WAB train going up the mountain to Wengen.
Therefore if you are in Wengen looking WEST, Muerren is SOUTH, or a few degrees to the left of due west. It is more "taleinwarts" toward the end of the road.
Sorry. For an old navigator that is a silly mistake!
Evidence of advancing age. That first digit is no longer a 6.

Old May 1st, 2003, 09:51 AM

Beatle, is this area near Geneva and reachable by train? Is it an area you would visit on your first, short (6 days) trip to Switzerland?
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Bev- I was at work(what a drag after Wengen!) and just saw that your question was answered.

Bob- Thanks, it was probably Muerren. It really caught my eye- so much so that I can't wait to check it out when I return. I'd love to stay for longer than a week(a month or more) but I have the feeling that villages like Muerren and Wengen might get a little pricey for lodging or a rental for that long. Is Lauterbrunnen a little more "reasonable"? I like the idea that it's on the rail line.