Bern--is it worth the trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have 10 days in Switzerland at the end of May. Agenda thus far includes Zurich (flying in and out), Lucerne and an as-yet-unidentified homebase in the Berner Oberland. Do I need to go to Bern? We are mildly tempted because he is a watch fiend and the Omega museum is nearby. Is Bern worth an overnight stay? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Bern, the capital of Switzerland, is indeed worth a visit. Be sure you don't go on Sunday as many things are closed.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Bern to me is one of Europe's most overlooked cities - a gorgeous city both with neat old buildings and a gorge with a roaring river. Not sure need an overnight as a few hours could suffice - great shopping under the old arcades lining the streets. Could day trip there from any Berner Oberland base.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:44 AM

I spent only several hours in the city, and loved it! The bridges, a plaza with the famous clock, Einstein's house which is not a museum yet but a nice promenade, rose garden off-season, but a great place for a picnic and the views from the top are priceless!

The only thing I didn't like about Bern, and the whole country - the shops' prices
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Bern is one of my favourite (small) cities. I stayed there five nights and did day trips from there.

We easily day-tripped to Kleine Scheidegg and even had time to do some shopping in Interlaken (watch at Kirchhofer).

However, you don't NEED to go to Bern. Thun is a lovely small town by the lake and closer to the mountains. And for the 'real' mountains experience stay in either Mürren or Wengen.

I.

I.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Hi All,

O gosh, I hate to be the dissenting voice, especially with such good posters here.

But.

I was underwhelmed with Bern, but that could be because I'm not an architecture buff. I think I saw Bern on my 8th visit to the country; I certainly wouldn't sacrifice a day in the mountains for a day there.

As Ingo says, try Thun instead -- a neat town right on the water. Take a ferry ride from Interlaken to Thun.

Enjoy your stay!

s
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:21 AM

In Bern don't miss the Bear Pit by the river and a walk along the gushing river.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I enjoy visiting Bern for a day...it's very pretty and I'm fond of their art museum, particularly the Anker paintings and a certain favorite painting in the basement. But if a day in Bern means cutting back somewhere else that interests you more, skip it. With just 10 days (they will fly by!), focus only on the places you're keenest to see.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Ha! I was wondering when the first dissenting voice would come up. To make it clear: Bern is a city - and who likes mountains more than cities might better head straight to the mountains.

I *am* an architecture fan. And the old town of Bern is truly a fantastic example for medieval to Baroque architecture, not only some buildings, but as a whole.

Just noticed you'll be there end of May - possibly a bit too early for Mürren/Wengen, it is still off-season and these villages will almost be deserted. Makes Thun yet more favourable.

I.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Do keep Bern in mind in event of rain (or snow! in the mountains) as the covered passageways are ideal for inclement weather. In addition to the shops, the Bear Pit and the lovely church, there was a multimedia presentation in the visitor's center near the Bear Pit on the history of the city which was very interesting( and must have been multilingual or I wouldn't know that).
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:04 PM

My family and I visited Bern as an overnight trip. It's a very small city, quaint, but there's not much really to do and see for more than a day (my opinion only). So for an overnight trip, I'd say it's okay. We stayed at the Goldener Schlusel, a 2* I believe, simple hotel, nice location near the clock tower. There is a very nice Italian resto. facing the square in town. I can't recall the name but it's part of these international restos. that are located next to each other. Btw, watches are not any cheaper in Switzerland.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:07 AM

Good grief, am I the only person on the planet who loves the painted fountain figures of Bern? J.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:54 AM

No!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Apparently, I am easily amused... We spent four nights in Bern and loved it. Two days were devoted to day trips (Bern is a great base for day trips by train), and the other two days were spent in Bern.

We walked up to the Rose Garden on the other side of the river (past the Bear Pit) for a wonderful roof-top view of the city. We toured the Clock Tower, Einstein's house, the Klee Museum (moved to a new building since our visit), the Alpine Museum, and the Swiss Parliament (very, very interesting). I dragged my husband all over town to see the fountains, and we enjoyed walking under the arcades, window-shopping. Lots of restaurant choices.

We stayed at the Belle Epoque and would recommend it highly.