Berlin - SavignyPlatz question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone comment about staying super-close to SavignyPlatz in Berlin? I'm inadvertently booked into Hotel Am SavignyPlatz. It looks fairly nice and is supposedly either new or remodeled. The area seems trendy and commercial. I think Rick Steves likes it.

Would it be too loud around there at night? How is the nearby public transport? It seems well-located for both S-bahn and subway.

http://www.am-savignyplatzhotel.de/indexe.htm

Finally, does anyone know how to interpret the following response from the hotel? I sent an earlier e-mail asking about availablility, but it was a week ago, so I e-mailed again to see if they still had the room and ask about cancellation policy.

Here was there response:

YOUR RESERVATION

Dear XXX

We are grateful for your reservation and hereby confirm the following
binding appointment.

In case of a fixed booking, we require the entry of an e-commerce credit card and its validity date

A cancellation term of 1 week is fixed. Cancellation 100% of the whole
price

I never explicltly said I wanted to make a reservation, and I never give them my CC number. So, am I booked? Can I cancel with no fee up to a week? The words "binding appointment" and "1 week fixed cancellation" were confusing and a little scary considering I didn't intend to book.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:36 AM

First, Savignyplatz is a nice urban area in the western part of the city. Nice restaurants and bars there. Walking distance to the Kurfürstendamm area. Access to underground trains.

The reservation was clearly written by someone with a poor command of English. It seems to me:

- The hotel has guaranteed the reservation one-sided.

- As soon as YOU send them your credit card information, the reservation is also binding for you (both-sided).

- When you write them, make clear that a cancellation up to 1 week prior to the date of arrival is free of charge.

Maybe you can help them if you write everything in proper English (I am not a native speakter either).
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. It probably was a translation issue.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

topping. I also have an offer from Pension Kima, which seems close to the K'damm.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 08:15 AM

On my first trip to Berlin in '04, Savigny Platz become a sort of home-away-from-home. It's a very pleasant urban area to walk around in, and an easy walk away from some of the more famous sights in the Ku-Damm area - Memorial Church, KaDeWe, etc. I wouldn't typify it as super-trendy, but it is full of entertainment opportunities and interesting shops.

I don't know what your taste in restaurants is like, but Savigny Platz can likely cater to them all, from super-sophisticated to neighborhood pub to fast-food style quick snacks.

Our favorite place for dinner turned out to be Rosalinde, definitely in the neighborhood pub category, with a solid menu of German traditional dishes, and a great selection of beers and wines. TV in the back for the Fussball fans, and a men's WC barely big enough to stand up in. The overall feel is cozy, though, and on a Summer evening there's plenty of seating outside.

S-Bahn has a Savigny-Platz station, and buses run thru the area frequently.

Fritzrl