Search

Berlin in May

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin in May

We are going to be in Berlin in the middle of May for 8 days (first time). We're a 60ish couple who like to travel and have lots of interests - museums, performances, music(classical and jazz), parks, quirky places etc.... and of course, enjoying restaurants and having a nice drink. We want to be near transportation which I understand isn't a problem in Berlin. We also want to be in an area with lots of restaurants and cafes. I reserved several hotels online in different parts of Berlin and now I have to decide where we should stay. One hotel is in the Mitte (NH Berlin Mitte) and another is near Savignyplatz Square (H'Otello K'80). I looked at Savignyplatz because I read recommendations (in other forums) from travellers around our age.
What are the pluses and minuses? I was told that if we're not going to rush around (and we're not - that's why we're staying for more than a week), we don't have to be close to the major sites. I know that my question is like asking what's better - apples or pears but hearing different opinions will certainly help me.
Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the major tourist sites are within walking distance of The Bandenburger Tor.

Reichstag, Potsdamer Platz, Gemaldegalerie, Monument to the Murdered Jews, Checkpoint Charlie, Museum Island, Kaiserdom, Opera House, AlexanderPlatz, Rathaus--all within walking distance of Brandeburger For.

I would look for a hotel in this area.

However, the Pergamon Altar is now closed for construction work.

You can get the U-bahn at Potzdamer Platz to get to Kurfurstendam, KaDeWe.

Lots of shops and restaurants, Starbucks, drug stores on Friedrichstraße.

American Embassy is also in this area.

Thin
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 10:22 AM

Savignyplatz is a little more happening area than where the NH is. And by happening I mean restaurants and shopping. Savignyplatz is in the middle of the former upscale commercial area of West Berlin and the NH is closer to the historic sites of old Berlin. You will still want to take transit to most of the major sites.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 12:26 PM

When it comes to tourist sites, it does not really matter where you stay as long as your hotel is close to an U-Bahn or S-Bahn station. Berlin is a polycentral city with major attractions in different neighbourhoods, so you have to take public transit to mover around.

On the other hand, it is a good idea to base yourself in a neighbourhood with bars and restaurants. In this respect, Savignyplatz is one of the best choices in Berlin.
Old Feb 13th, 2015, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

That's what I read about Savignyplatz - good for restaurants and bars. The hotel that I found there is right next to public transit so it'll be easy to get around. Anybody familiar with the hotels I mentioned?