Search

Berlin accommodation/neighborhoods advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2016, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin accommodation/neighborhoods advice

Hi everyone,

I would like a bit of advice about where to stay in Berlin. We will be visiting for 5 nights. We are a couple in their early 20s, would ideally like to stay somewhere close to pubs/clubs/restaurants/attractions. I know Berlin is a huge city, but was wondering if there was one neighbourhood that would encompass all of these things?

I have been researching it but have gotten a little confused. In other travel forums, a lot of people have advised that it is best to stay in the Mitte neighbourhood. I researched good budget accommodation and found the Meininger Berlin Central Station - has anyone stayed here before? It is right next to the main central station apparently, but i have also heard that this area does not have a lot of nightlife around it, and not many restaurants. We are ideally looking for accommodation under 100euros a night for both of us, if possible

If anyone has recommendations about good, budget hotels/hostels/apartments in a good area, it would be much appreciated
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 02:15 PM

Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain neighbourhoods might fit the bill for you. Young atmosphere, lots of restaurants and bars.
Check 'Kreuzberg Berlin' and 'Friedrichshain Berlin' on booking.com for accomodation.
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not stay next to the central station, although it's convenient for the Reichstag and Brandenburg Gate there's not a lot else going on there.

I stayed in a Motel One near Potsdamer Platz. I found the area convenient and the hotel is next door to a large mall, but suspect you would be happier in a livelier neighborhood. But I recommend the chain, well priced and has AC.

http://www.motel-one.com/en/hotels/berlin/
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 02:07 AM

The Meininger Berlin-Mitte Humboldthaus has a MUCH better location.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 03:01 AM

The problem with looking for something in "Mitte" is that the name can be used to refer to a very large area since administratively nowadays it includes districts that used to be separate (Wedding and Tiergarten with their different neighbourhoods)as well as the traditional historic centre (old "Mitte"). The area around the Hauptbahnhof in Berlin is still being developed so not particularly attractive and not central for sightseeing or nightlife.

Staying in central Mitte eg Hackescher Markt/Rosenthaler Platz area offers lots of places to eat and drink and is very central to sightsee from. There's an Easyhotel on Rosenthaler Strasse, also Circus Hostel and Hotel and there are budget options near Hackescher Markt too.

On the Mitte/Prenzlauer Berg border, there's the Meininger City at Senefelderplatz, this is a good area for restaurants, around Kollwitzplatz and with the U2 underground line for getting around. East Seven hostel on Schwedter Strasse is in the same area.

Kreuzberg borders Mitte; Checkpoint Charlie is just over the border in Kreuzberg, as is the Topography of Terror. Accorhotels has various hotel chains in that area.

Friedrichshain is good for nightlife but a bit further out which means longer transfer times for sightseeing during the day.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 03:02 AM

TS wants nightlife. She definitely should NOT stay in Mitte then.
As I said before: Kreuzberg (near to Potzdamer Platz) is a trendy neighbourhood with lots of restaurants, bars and nightlife. And with metro/bus connections to the must-sees in the city. So are Friedrichshain and even Prenzlauerberg.

@kiwiabroad
Have you thought about airbnb?
https://www.airbnb.com/locations/ber...berg?locale=en
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 04:27 AM

Now I have time to write a little more.

Kiwi, you have specified your preferences perfectly, so we can give you good advice.

Avoid the Hauptbahnhof. It is a barren place, nothing but busy roads.

"Mitte" is a large area, and quite diverse. The Meininger Berlin-Mitte Humboldthaus has the perfect location for you. It is located on Oranienburger Straße, a lively street with lots of bars and restaurants. Hackesche Höfe and Hackerscher Markt are nearby, also centers of nightlife. The location is sourrounded by vaudeville style theatres.

You have also good access to Friedrichstraße station, which is an excellent public transport hub. The historical center around Gendermenmarkt and along Unter den Linden Boulevard is in easy walking distance.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 05:33 AM

When are you going to be there? If it is summer you may well want AC, I certainly did, it's one reason I wound up at a Motel One.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 05:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
oh yes, we were there one July and without AC it would have been unbearable - it only got cool around about midnight.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 06:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You will WANT A/C and don't even THINK about "saving money" by staying in any accommodation which doesn't offer it at that time of year. And if the place doesn't that is one reason why it will be priced more cheaply.

Unfortunaltely, what the OP does NOT say is whether or not they might be actually willing to USE that extensive public transport network to GET to some of that desired "nightlife" and if they are that makes a huge difference.

And then there's that "nightlife" itself in Berlin which, as those of us who have been there, varies widely and wildly. Having a drink in some supposedly "trendy" bar is one thing but for some that is hardly "nightlife."
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 06:44 AM

"You will WANT A/C and don't even THINK about "saving money" by staying in any accommodation which doesn't offer it at that time of year."

Unless you're German, lol. We had a "discussion" about it on this board last year, and when I went round the Reichstag the guide kept insisting AC was unnecessary even though it was in the 90s. It was miserably hot and humid on the metro and some of the museums were on the hot side, too. I was very glad I had picked the Motel One, as I had fortunately discovered that the other hotel on my short list actually turned the AC off at night! (Pays to read the TA reviews for the time of year you will be traveling.)
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 08:37 AM

thursdaysd, you are absolutely right. 99% of the Germans do not have A/C and not because they can't afford it but because they say it is not necessary.

kiwi, the Meininger Berlin-Mitte has an excellent location for your tastes.

If you look for other hotels, use www.hrs.com. You will find that Berlin has around 500 hotels and most of them are under €100. Sort them by distance to sights/attractions and select "Die Hackeschen Höfe" (under "D" in alphabetical order). You will see that indeed a Motel One will be displayed and that it may have even better rates than the Meininger.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your informative responses!

We will either be travelling in August or October (all depends on when my partner can get time off work )

@MyriamC: I have thought about AirBNB, as i am currently looking into it for accommodation options for the other cities we are visiting! However, when i looked on it for apartments, it seemed like hotels were a cheaper and easier way to go. Maybe i wasn't looking in the right area however - i probably narrowed my search to Mitte only, not really knowing where we should stay. I will also look into hotels in the Kreuzberg neighbourhood on booking.com. I don't want to be too far away from attractions during the day also.

Wow, Meininger Hotel Berlin Mitte looks great! I don't know why i didn't consider it before haha. And the price is very similar to Meininger Berlin Central Station.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi Thursdaysd, was it Motel One - Potsdamer Platz?

I searched it online - also looks like a good option! Looks like it's in a completely different part of town from the Meininger Hotel Berlin Mitte, however it does seem slightly more expensive from what i can see.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 03:12 PM

Yes, that's right. I found the location convenient, but I wasn't looking for nightlife.

Does the Meininger have AC? The website doesn't list it. If you are there in August I would not book a hotel for five nights without AC. Unlikely to be a problem in October.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

@thursdaysd - oh no, i just came back from doing some research and the Meininger does not have AC

Looks like it is back to the drawing board, if we do go in August
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 07:37 PM

Our kids (early 20's) were in Berlin over Christmas and stayed at the Circus Hostel and loved it! Brewery on site too.
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 05:13 AM

Those recommending Kreuzberg might want to reconsider:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/02/op...-goodness.html
Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 09:16 AM

What else would you expect from a <i>coloured</i> article in an American newspaper?
"All these people from North Africa" are all over Europe, not just Germany.
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Are there any issues with staying in Kreuzberg? I don't mean to sound naive, but are there really areas in Berlin that we should be avoiding for terrorist reasons? This is the first i am hearing of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -