Berlin in March

Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin in March

I'm planning a trip to Germany next March and Berlin is one of the cities I'm planning on visiting for 5 days. However, my companions who were supposed to meet me there are not wanting to go because

-They are afraid it will be cold and snowy in March.
-It's not beautiful or European like Barcelona, Madrid, Paris
-Friends went and said it was their least favorite city in Germany.

My question is how cold is it in March and how bad is the weather? Are there things to do in Berlin that are not depressing(their words) WW2 sites? I don't mind going alone but I'd love them to visit Berlin as well.
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 04:57 AM

Sounds to me like your friends have already made up their minds. Even you correct their misimpression that Berlin is "not European" (it is, effectively, the heart & brain of the European Union), beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so they have stated their preferences. You can't predict the weather, so it might happen that there is severe cold or snow in Berlin the 5 days you plan to be there.

Of course there are things to do in Berlin that are not related to WW2 or the Soviet oppression. What do you personally like to do and see when you travel? (because I think you will be going there by yourself)
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I LOVE Berlin. (How could it not be European?)

I was there for Christmas 2007 and found plenty to do.

My favourite was the glass dome of the Reichstag Building!

Berlin has great public transportation!

By the way, I have travelled all over the globe (Beijing to Buenos Aires to Benares) and Barcelona is one of my least favourite cities.

Thin
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 04:19 PM

"However, my companions who were supposed to meet me there are not wanting to go..."

If you genuinely want to see Berlin, see it on your own and meet your friends somewhere else.

However, it seems from your comments that you yourself are under-informed about what there is to see and do in Berlin. So I don't think you are the right person to persuade them. And it seems odd that you are eager to go there when you don't know what's there.

It might be smart to just enjoy your time in Germany with your friends in places you can all agree on. If WW II stuff interests you, there are documentation centers, bunkers, and similar sights in several other cities as well (Nuremberg, Munich, Cologne and Remagen are just a few.)
Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 04:52 PM

Berlin is an exciting city. I love it. It's not typical but that's a good thing. Don't bother trying to talk your friends into going. Go there and meet up with them later but don't miss out on this vibrant city because they don't want to go. Read up on it and enjoy.
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 12:11 PM

I first saw Berlin in 1998 when the Reichstag was still under construction and I didn't have much "museum money." Ever since, I yearned for a return.

That trip came to fruition in 2013 when we paired it with a visit to Warsaw. As I said at the time, the Nazi horrors so inescapable in Warsaw left a bad taste in my mouth as our train pulled into Berlin, but the work of the Germans to acknowledge their history and atone for it changed my view.

The Reichstag offers wonderful free lectures and tours, Museum Island was a wonder and every night we happily ended up at Alexanderplatz near our hotel.

If you want to see Berlin ~ go for it; it's one of my favorite cities!

I've always loved the U2 lyric
You can go anywhere
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast and Berlin"
Old Jul 5th, 2017, 05:29 AM

Emily, hope you'll post again when you've decided ~ have fun planning!