BERLIN

Dec 5th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

BERLIN

Any suggestions for hotels and location in Berlin to stay.
Also what areas are the best for nightlife.
Any names of places?
Thanks
Dec 5th, 2003, 04:39 AM

Before we offer a lot of suggestions, what's your budget? There's a wide range in Berlin. And what kind of nightlife? From your name are we to take it you're looking for jazz spots?
Dec 5th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I am looking for 4 or 5 star hotels in walking distance to the best clubs, bars, restaurants, cafes etc in Berlin
Thanks
Dec 5th, 2003, 11:23 PM
hsv

jazzyguy,

I had already replied to your former post of about two days ago.
As that one did not come up under Germany, you might have missed the reply.
Here I go again (copied and pasted- and ammended):

jazzyguy,

IMHO you should stay in the area called Mitte, that used to be the center of East Berlin. The boulevards "Unter den Linden" and "Friedrichstrasse" are being revived and the nightlife there is about the trendiest there is in Berlin.

Top class hotels are:

- Kempinski Adlon (Germany's premier hotel probably, www.kempinski.com) right on Unter den Linden and adjacent to Brandenburger Tor

- The Four Seasons (rivals the Adlon, but is a bit quieter and does not sport a pool if that's an issue with you) on Gendarmenmarkt very near Newton Bar, a hip place to hang out.

- The Westin (more 4 star, but still nice) on Friedrichstraße

- The Hilton on Gendarmenmarkt (very close to the Four Seasons, more of a 4 star, too)

- Another option would be the Grand Hyatt (5 star) on Potsdamer Platz- a minimalist modern Grand Hotel with very friendly staff and a great health club on the top floor overlooking Berlin. The area around Potdamer Platz is a bit artificial, though, as everything has been rebuilt after the Square was no longer in the middle of the death strip separating Eastern from Western Berlin. Unter den Linden is about 7 minutes by foot away.

- Between Potsdamer Platz (but closer to Potsdamer Platz) and the Brandenburg Gate, a new Marriott and Ritz Carlton are scheduled to open soon. I have seen opening specials at the Marriott advertised at around € 139.-.

- A bit further East- and very close to the Museums there is a new Radisson to be opened next spring featuring a several story high aquarium. I do not know when you'll be travelling, but you might give that a try, too.

Hope this helps
hsv
Dec 6th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good selections. I will mke my reservations accordingly.
Much appreciated.