Accommodation in the centre of Berlin

Old Jul 4th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accommodation in the centre of Berlin

I am planning a few days in Berlin at the end of September.
Does anyone have some tips for a good accommodation not too expensive in the centre?

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 04:37 AM

I'm not sure you would consider this area the centre, but we just returned from a trip to Berlin, and stayed in the Prenzlauer Berg area, which is a fabulous area, full of cafes, and has a buzzy feel about it. We stayed in Schoenhause Apartments, and it was fabulous. Clean, about 100 metres from an underground stop which takes you anywhere in minutes. The staff were very friendly. There is a supermarket across the road, a well equipped kitchenette, and free wifi in your room, as well as 2 free computers in reception area. Reasonably priced too. We would stay there again if we returned. Berlin is a fsacinating city, full of history and culture. Check out the link to these apartments on trip advisor.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ts-Berlin.html
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 04:49 AM
DAX

What's your budget? I consider the Berlin Marriott in The central Potsdamerplatz or the Berlin Melia in the Mitte area to be 'not too expensive', both never disappoint for the price they charge. If I want to splurge then I'd stay at the Hyatt, Ritz or Mandala Hotel in Potsdamerplatz or hotel de Rome in the Mitte.

Meliá Berlin - 4 star superior hotel
Ideal for both business and leisure travel, the Mélia Berlin is located downtown near the biggest attractions in the city! Enjoy superior quality facilities ...
www.meliaberlin.com/en/

Marriott Hotel Berlin (Berlin, Germany) - Hotel Reviews - ranked #14 of 631 hotels in Berlin ...
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...iews-Marriott_ Hotel_Berlin-Berlin.html
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 11:25 PM
hsv

If the Marriott or the Melia are not to your liking and you prefer something smaller, you could also look into the newly renovated Hotel Gendarm Nouveau, directly on Gendarmenmarkt. Behind a slightly bland facade right on beautiful Gendarmenmarkt there are pleasantly modern designed rooms, which, albeit a bit on the small side, offer comfortable beds and more than decent showers. They also serve quite a good breakfast and the place doesn't break the bank.
http://www.hotel-gendarm-berlin.de/default.aspx?lang=en
Old Jul 4th, 2010, 11:30 PM
hsv

Forgot to add: The suggestions of the Marriott and the Melia are excellent. I prefer the Marriott, but that's a personal choice. Sometimes you can get the Radisson Blu in the same price bracket, which is quite good, too.
In general Berlin's hotel prices are highly competitive and there is a lot of value for money if you look around.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 06:56 AM

We very much enjoyed the Melia last November and are booked to return to Berlin and the Melia again this year. It was an excellent value and we liked this area better than the Potsdamer Platz as it has more going on in the evenings and on weekend.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Check out the Circus Hotel. Stayed there last month and really liked it, especially its staff, location and restaurant.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 04:31 PM

bookmarking
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:44 AM

We enjoyed our stay at the Arcotel Velvet on Oranienburger Stasse very much--both the hotel itself and the location. Streetcar stop at the door and subway station just down the block.
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 05:59 AM

I also recommend the Melia on Friedrichstrasse.

Thin
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 10:12 AM
DAX

I like hsv's recommendation of the Gendarm Nouveau hotel for its premiere location, their rooms however remind me of an italian chain hotel on Friedrichstr that I had stayed at a few years ago when it was new, I remember how the lobby was much better than the Melia, but the rooms were about the same. It's recently taken over by the the NH chain:
http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotel...chstrasse.html

The NH takeover lowered the price point and changed the room interior, but the location is still great being across the street from the Friedrichstr train station giving you access to several S bahn, ICE, RE trains as well as the U bahn. A couple blocks north of the famous Unter Den Linden boulevard (East Berlin's Champs Elysees) and a few steps from the Melia so it's a good alternative.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 12:41 PM

I think the price range for hotels in the Mitte is above $150. I know some folks who found the Park Inn in Alexanderplatz to be above and beyond.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...tz-Berlin.html

http://www.hotelrooms365.com/HotelDe...9-9216fee92de1
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 01:10 PM

These days I guess Mitte is the center of Berlin yet again.

If you want to stay at a cheap, clean place in Mitte try the easyhotel which opened there earlier this year. Rooms are very small, but functional and clean. The area has a good nightlife and many interesting shops.

There are a large number (thousands) of flats available for short time rent in Berlin. Usually owners want you to stay at least 3-4 nights before they are willing to rent to you. This is one of the better sites for finding flats for short time rent in Berlin: http://www.ferienwohnung-zimmer-berl...-eng/suche.php
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your tips and useful information.
I will check everything (at least Melia, Marriot and Circus) and let you know...
Thanks again
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM

We have booked the Hotel Gendarm Nouveau for a 5 night stay in October.

The best rates are on www.booking.com. We have booked the two room Gendarmensuite as we will be travelling with our daughter.

I have had email contact with the hotel and they have been pleasant, prompt and responsive to my enquiries.

The location looks superb.