Berchtesgarten from Munich

Jul 14th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Berchtesgarten from Munich

We would like to visit the salt mine in Berchtesgarten as a day trip from Munich. Does anyone know the fastest way between these two cities? I have tried to enter these two cities on the Eurail website, but it says that trains do not go between them.
Jul 14th, 2004, 05:07 PM

check with your hotel - there are numerous tours from Munich to Berchtesgarten. We took one that was basically all day - went to the salt mines, down the shaft (imagine a big dark slide), lunch, up to Eagles Nest and back. Quite nice and easy to do.
Jul 14th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Be careful with the tours. We took a Grayline tour in May that said we would go to Berchtesgaden and the Eagles Nest. If the Eagles Nest was closed (which is done in winter, however there was road construction when we went) you would tour the salt mines.

We paid our money and got on the bus. There was no mention of additional fees. Over 1/2 the way to Berchtesgaden we were told that we had "surely read the literature and had to pay an additonal 12.5 euros for the salt mine tour". When we returned to our hotel I read the "literature". Either the Eagles Nest or the saltmines are included in the initial price. After working with Grayline Headquarters in Colorado we got our 25 euros refunded, and the president of Grayline is in Munich now to straighten the issue out.
Jul 14th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Also, when you buy the Munich Welcome Card for transportation, the price of the tour is reduced from 41 euros each to 37.50 euros.

However, since the tour is not "guided" why not take the train from Munich to Berchtesgaden (yes they do run there) I priced the train trip at 21 euros each (round trip) when we went by the train station in Munich one day. That way you can see Berchtesgaden on your own time and take in the salt mine tour whenever you want.
Jul 14th, 2004, 08:04 PM

Should have done this before I posted the last message. Look at the Rail
Europe site. I just looked there for schedules and the trains run about every half hour and take just over 2 hours each way.
Jul 15th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the helpful information.
Jul 16th, 2004, 03:15 PM

You are welcome. Hope you all have a great time.