Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Berchtesgaden: worth doing as day trip by bus from Salzburg?

Berchtesgaden: worth doing as day trip by bus from Salzburg?

Sep 1st, 2011, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Berchtesgaden: worth doing as day trip by bus from Salzburg?

Berchtesgaden seems to be a popular side trip from Salzburg - apparently, it's a beautiful area plus there's the Nazi history at the Eagle's Nest, etc. I had originally planned to do a day trip by bus this month when I'm in Salzburg, but it looks like it's a huge area and other than the Eagle's Nest, the rest of the area by bus might not be simple to tour in a short time.

I've also considered the "Eagle’s Nest Historical Tours" (4 hour tour) which looks pretty intense. Anyone taken this tour? Is it the kind of thing you get a lot out of because you're THERE? I've heard there's not much physically remaining in the area from the Nazi era, other than the documentation center...
Sep 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM

We toured Eagle's Nest while driving towards Salzburg. It was fascinating and gave a peek into Hitler's paranoia.It is a beautiful setting and his cabin on top of the mountain has incredible views.If you have the time, I recommend a visit.
Sep 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM

We enjoyed very much a trip to Koenigssee and Berchtesgaden !!!!
Sep 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM

Berchtesgaden and Koenigsee was a highlight for us! We did it as a day trip form St Gilgen by car.
Sep 1st, 2011, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

OK - you all did it by car. But by bus? It's easy to find out the bus numbers and details from Salzburg; I'm just trying to get a feel for how worthwhile it is to do it via public transportation...
Sep 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM

We had a car while in Berchesgaden but took the bus to Salzburg, we were planning on drinking and didn't want to drive. It was a nice ride. I would not miss seeing the museum and the bunkers underneath. I just have never been able to go to any of the death camps and this was about all I could take, the hair on my neck stood on end in Borman's bunker. It is something you should see. It snowed early in Oct and I didn't get to go to see Eagle's nest, they won't take the required bus up the mountain but my husband has been and he enjoyed that part.
Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:58 PM

+1 to what flpab said - the museum, which is called Dokumentation Obersalzburg (Obersalzburg being the locale above Berchtesgaden where the Nazi complex was located), and the bunkers, which are entered through the museum, are fascinating and chilling in equal parts. I too was there at a time when trips to the Eagles Nest were not running, but never felt as though I was missing anything. Apparently Hitler had a fear of heights and didn't really care for the Eagles Nest, only visiting there a few times.

http://www.obersalzberg.de/obersalzberg-home.html?&L=1
Sep 6th, 2011, 07:36 AM

We have been to Berchtesgaden twice - once we used it as a base for 4 nights, and we used public transportation. The other time we were based in Salzburg, and took the bus to Berchtesgaden for the day. I would highly recommend it. The bus station is convenient, right at the bahnhof, and you can find the schedule for whatever tour you are interested in. We didn't do the tour for Eagles Nest, but went to the top for the amazing views. We did stop at the Documentation Center for awhile. I would also recommend visiting the Konigsee - stunning. When we were based in Salzburg, we took the bus to Berchtesgaden for the salt mine tour, which was alot of fun. Plus it's just a nice little town to wander around in and have lunch.
Sep 7th, 2011, 06:33 AM

I agree, Eagle's Nest is worth the visit as well as the salt mine.
Sep 7th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've decided to skip the four hour guided tour and just visit the Documentation Center on my own and maybe the Eagle's Nest, assuming nice weather. Perhaps I'll bus over to Konigsee too; it does look pretty. Depends on how much time I have as well.

Search this Thread