Bellagio to Venice

Aug 24th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Bellagio to Venice

We are staying at Bellagio for 3 days the first week in October. On October 7 we need to travel to Venice to board the Star Princess. My question is this, should we take the ferry to Varenna then the train to Venice connecting at Milan or the ferry to Como then the train to Venice connecting at Milan. If Como which station should we go out of in Como. We would like to leave early in morning and arrive in Venice mid afternoon.
Thanks for your assistance
Aug 24th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Trains for Centrale in Milan run out of the Como San Giovonni station about once every hour.

Depending on how you time things it might be a bit faster to take the ferry over to Varenna..the dock is about a 10-minute walk from the train station (uphill from the dock but the ticket folks will call a taxi for you if you want one) and then the train takes approx 1 1/2 hours from there to Centrale.

Have a great trip.
Aug 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM

If the time and convenience between the two options is about the same I would take the hyrofoil from Bellagio to Como. I enjoyed the view from the boat more than the view from the train. There are large windows on both sides so it doesn't matter where you sit - you can see both sides of the lovely lake.

There are taxis across the square and slightly to the right from where the hydrofoil docks in Como.

If you choose to take the train from Varenna get a taxi to the station. While it's only a short way from the ferry dock the hill is very steep.
Aug 24th, 2004, 03:28 PM

In 2000 we took a train directly from Como to Venice. We stayed in Mennagio and took a public bus which dropped us right at the train station.
Aug 24th, 2004, 04:50 PM

We travelled in the other direction - Venice to Bellagio via Milan and Como. We travelled via Como because the trains arrived there from Milan once an hour. When I looked up Milan to Varenna the trains only arrived every 2 hours (though the ferry trip is only 15 mins). I suggest you look up the train and ferry timetables and plan it from there. I'm afraid I have lost my links to the right websites though. Enjoy your trip!

BTW. Don't miss Villa Balbienello (we joined the boat tour leaving near the Bellagio ferry terminal...it included a guided tour inside the villa.) Fascinating.
Aug 24th, 2004, 05:05 PM

here's the ferry timetable

http://www.navigazionelaghi.it/itali...indicecomo.htm