France or Belgium in December

Aug 21st, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

France or Belgium in December

We (Me & my husband) are making a trip to India from USA. We've a stop over at Paris. We were wondering if we should stop by & go around France or near by countries like Belgium. Our only concerned is Weather. Can anyone pl. guide us whether it's worth a trip to either France or Belgium from Dec 25th to Jan 1st? Or a special trip in summer is better. Pl. let us know as soon as possible as we've to make reservations at earliest. Thanks a lot.
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:17 PM

You don't give us a full picture here Nick.
If you have a choice, always visit in nice weather, but since you're already passing through I certainly would take advantage.

Have you been to either of these countries before? If not, I would take advantage of seeing Paris and the surrounding area...so much to see and do that is not weather dependent. Or add on a side trip to the Alsace Lorraine area and Strasbourg. It should be beautiful, albeit snowy, that time of year.

I have not been to Belgium in dead winter, but I would imagine it's a little dreary unless you have specific sights/activities in mind. Perhaps someone else will give their experienced opinion on Belgium.

Have fun whatever you decide!
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:45 PM

Definitely France--Paris is wonderfully festive around the holiday season. How much time do you have? Provence would be great fun.
Aug 21st, 2004, 03:42 PM

Have been in Paris around that time of year. Department stores have wonderful display windows and the city is all lit up. Just dress for winter.
Aug 24th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded. We have managed to extend our reservation for few more days.

klondike, we are traveling to India to see our family. There is no plan for any sightseeing in India. We have not been to France before. In europe We have only been to Spain and Italy. That was also during last winter and weather was just fine.

Would you know if there is a storage facility at the airport or at the train station in Paris? We are going to have 4 big suitcases.

Any help is appreciated.
Aug 24th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Underhill, we'll have maximum 5-6 days in Europe.

The stop over is going to cost us extra couple of hundred dollars. Also, would it matter if we go around Dec end or Jan end? (Dec being a festival time)

Aug 24th, 2004, 05:11 PM

Paris & Belgium have similar weather(dreary in Belgium I know) that time of year,,,but we love traveling when it is cold and wet and either would be fine. Paris would be first choice, since you haven't been there. Not as many tourists as in the summer for sure, except for holiday tourists!
All the airports use to have storage facilities, but I have heard that might have changed after 9/11. It would be worth checking with the airport or station.