Bellagio in November

Jun 21st, 2010, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Bellagio in November

My wife and I (60) are going to Lake Como in 6,7,8th November. It looks like a lot of properties are closed in Bellagio around then. I wany to be near good restaurants and beautiful views if possible and I would like to know where should I stay. If not Bellagio, what other villages in that area should I consider. I will be driving a car, so I need parking and I want to be able to walk most places without huge climbs once I am there. I would appreciate any information on good properties that will be open , do the ferries run at night and how cold will it be and what will be open at that time? Also, do you think there is a chance of any nice weather that time of year?

Thanks Beaufort
Jun 21st, 2010, 05:47 AM

First of all the weather. It will be cold in the evenings as the first snow will be appearing in the Alps and this has the effect of dropping the temperature around the Italian lakes. It could rain but it may not. If it is sunny you will be blessed by some magnificent picture postcard views as the air is much crisper and perfect for taking pictures.

Certain towns on the lake do get quieter in November and Bellagio is no exception but there are always people visiting on Saturdays and especially Sundays if only to have lunch and a walk around.

There will of course be more life in and around Como and two hotels I could suggest (bearing in mind you need parking) are the Terminus - http://www.albergoterminus.com/ - or at Moltrasio (10 minutes by car from Como) is the Imperiale - http://www.hotel-lago-como-imperiale.com/ Both are open in November and the price including breakfast will be about Euros 320 - 360 in total for 3 nights.

The ferry service still works as many use it as a means of transport rather than a car. The winter timetable is not yet on line but there will be few services after 8 in the evening.

Having a car is a good idea and one of the nicest trips is to drive up the western bank to Cadenabbia and take the ferry (with your car) across to Bellagio and then drive down the eastern bank back to Como.
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:05 AM

<< I want to be able to walk most places without huge climbs >>

Can you define what you mean by huge climb? Bellagio and other towns in the area are built into the mountains so many walks involve hills. Only the waterfront in Bellagio is flat. Across the lake in Mennagio there is a longer waterfront where you can walk.

I stayed in Bellagio mid October and every other day was rainy and damp. The nice days were spectacular. But things do begin to close up October 1 such as some restaurants and the post office in Bellagio was closed (you could buy stamps at the tabac).

If you stay in Bellagio you won't need a car as the ferries take you around the lake towns and the ferries are wonderful to ride. There are parking lots on the waterfront in Bellagio and in November I don't think you will have a problem finding parking.

The ferries don't run late so I would base yourselves where you have a choice of restaurants in the evening.

You can use this site for temperatures.

http://www.wunderground.com/
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:15 AM

Menaggio is the largest of the three so-called "mid lake" towns (Bellagio and Varenna being the other two) and the part of menaggio where all the hotels are located is pretty much flat.

The only hotel I am certain is open all year THERE is the Grand Hotel Victoria (not to be confused with the Grand Hotel located next to the ferry dock). There are probably more hotels open at that time of year over in Bellagio. Varenna is pretty hilly.

I've been to the area in late November and the weather then is certainly a crap shoot...ond day overcast and another sunny. Expect LOTS of dampness which has nothing to do with the lake..just the general climate.

You might be able to get some weather data..and I mean DATA as opposed to somebody's faulty MEMORY or the temperatures at weatherunderground.com

IMO this is not the most ideal time to be there...some people will tell you other than the stunning views and relaxing atmosphere that it can get kinda boring. But some of those folks are the same ones who cannot understand why anyone would go to the BEACH in the winter...
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:30 AM

Another nice trip is from Como up to Lugano - if you are happy following maps or have GPS in the car or on your mobile follow the old road and not the autostrada. There is a magnificent lake walk from Lugano Paradiso to Parco Ciani. You can then drive along the lake in the direction of Gandria and Porlezza which will take you to Menaggio back on Lake Como.
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:09 AM

With a car I prefer to stay in Menaggio--also better for day trips to Lugano etc.
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:29 AM

Yes Bob but in November you will have a better selection of restaurants in or around Como
Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your comments. My apologies it has take me so long to get back to answer you. I do understand many of the villages are built in to mountains and are obviously hilly. We do want to explore some of these to get the feel of the place, however we were more concerned re hauling luggage up hills to a Hotel or Villa after seeing some of the other guests comments for this area. We were also concerned with parking close to the property.
Do you think I definitely need to book ahead for this time of year because there are less properties open, or would there normally be plenty of hotels that are open with vacancies? Of course it would be good to have a look around and then decide where to stay.
How long would it take to comfortably drive from Como to Bellagio?
I notice most properties offer breakfast, are there normally cafe's that are open in November that open for breakfast in these villages, or would that only be in larger places like Como?
Thanks Beaufort
Jun 24th, 2010, 01:20 AM

I don't think you need to book far ahead. Generally the only problem outside the tourist months is if there is one of the really big trade fairs on in Milan which is not the case when you are travelling.
Como to Bellagio up the eastern bank of the lake takes about an hour. But my preferred route is to travel up the western bank passing through Cernobbio and taking the old lake road passing through Moltrasio, Carate Urio and Laglio (where George Clooney has his house). Carry on up to Cadenabbia with perhaps a stop aroud the Sala Comacina, Ossuccio, Lenno area. Without stops the trip takes about an hour. From Cadenabbia there is a car ferry to Bellagio which takes about 10 minutes. Return to Como down the eastern side.
There are always cafés open for breakfast - many Italians have their breakfast there rather than at home! They will be open early too.
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Nochblad, your comments have been very informative and helpful towards our trip to Como. I will take your comments on board and travel as per your suggestion.

What do you know about Provence of Livorno area ? I stayed there for 3 weeks as a young man 40 years ago just outside a a small village called Rosignano Maritimo. I plan to visit that village again and then find a little villa or hotel in that Tuscan area for 3 days only where I can visit Florence, Sienna and surrounds before travelling down to Rome to catch a Mediterranean cruise ship. If you know the area, I would appreciate your comments

Thank you Beaufort
Jun 28th, 2010, 05:02 AM

I have to admit that I have only visited Livorno once many years ago. I am unaware of the coast as I have always rushed through on the way to Piobino to catch the ferry to Elba. On the few occasions I did the coastal road my impression was that it was far less built up due to the extensive coastal pine forests. Quite different to the Versilia coast.