Reload this Page >

Belgium/Netherlands vs. Vienna/Prague vs. Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 06:12 PM
padbrasher

Where to go next? We are trying to choose our next European destination and would love advice from Fodorites. My family of four, including 2 teenaged boys have traveled extensively throughout France, spent time in London, Bavaria, Luzerne and Zermatt, northern and central Italy. We are able to make a last-minute 10-14 day journey in August 2004 to Europe thanks to AA miles and American Express points but need to pin down a location ASAP.

Our best trips have involved combining the cultural and historical sights with outdoor adventures (hiking, skiing, rafting, biking or beaching). As a middle-aged woman, I do not enjoy hot and humid weather (why we escape St. Louis in August) so I have no interest in Spain or Greece this summer.

All suggestions would be most appreciated!

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 06:27 PM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi pad,

I would do

1 Vienna/Prague/Budapest

2 Scandinavia (Any combination of Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland)
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 06:51 PM
padbrasher

To Ira,
Thanks for your quick response. How many days would you spend in Vienna, Prague and Budapest? Does one merit more time than the others? Also, what are your impressions of Salzburg?
Your alternate itinerary is also interesting, especially Copenhagen.
I will have to check with AA, I do not know if we can get there on miles.
I appreciate your help.

Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:15 PM
ira

Hi Pad,

We did a week in Vienna,4 - 3 with an overnight in Budapest and 5 days in Prague.

Taking away a night from Vienna and adding it to Budapest would also work.

August is a great time for Scandinavia.

Sunset in Helsinki is about 9:30 and sunrise is about 05:40. The moon doesn't rise and set, it goes 'round and 'round.

Farther North, it never gets really dark, and if you go up to Lapland, the sun doesn't set at all.

It's an experience.

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 06:37 AM
padbrasher

Ira:
Again, thank you for your response. One other question: if I must choose between Prague & Budapest to couple with Vienna...which one is better considering our two teenaged boys? Or are they equally interesting and fun to visit? Weatherwise, is there much difference in August between Prague and Budapest?

To all other readers: Please feel free to add your thoughts on either my original question or more specifically, regarding Vienna, Prague and Budapest. Also, we are tossing around Salzburg as a possible add-on to Vienna. Good idea? PLEASE jump in with comments.

Thanks,
Patty

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:08 AM

Last year we went to Prague, Vienna and Budapest (5-3-4). We loved Prague and Budapest and Vienna came in third. It is much more expensive and though we enjoyed the things we did (Schonbrunn Palace, Lipizzan practice session, Musicverein, Belvedere Museum, St. Stevens Church) we liked it least.

To answer your question, however, as noted we loved Budapest, but if I had to choose between Budapest and Prague, I would choose Prague. I'm not much help with teenage boys' likes and dislikes, but think Prague would probably better fit the bill in that regard as well.

Haven't been to Salzburg so can't help in that area.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Singletail

I would not go to Budapest or Vienna or Prague in August expecting NOT to have hot and humid weather. While not as hot and humid as Barcelona/Madrid, etc., I've been to these cities several times in August and the humidity was considerable. They are all three great and worth doing but if you are going there and since you are obviously saving a great deal of money on airfare, I would strongly suggest you book accommodattions that are charmingly air conditioned.

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 09:31 AM
padbrasher

Singletail: Thanks for the warning on weather. Just how hot & humid should I anticipate? The weather averages for all three cities indicate very pleasant temps (highs in the mid-70sF), although I realize fully that anything can happen...i.e., summer 2003. What has your experience been?

I know firsthand that Paris can be 72F or 102F in August...is this also true in Vienna, Prague, Budapest?

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Having been to all those places, I would suggest Budapest, Prague and Vienna as well. If you can get to Salzburg or krakow the other way, I would try to include that.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM
ira

Hi Pad,

I think both are interesting, but if I had to choose, it would be Prague.

Also "hot and humid" are relative terms. Having lived on the Chesapeake Bay and now in central Georgia, I think Prague and Vienna are "comfortable".

AC is always a good idea.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 10:48 AM

I lived in Vienna for 3 summers 2001 to 03. We had hot weather for long periods in each of those years - eg. in August it was over 30c every day bar 2 (those were high 20s). It was not overly humid, and our flat was OK - but we lived in a palace and walls were about 6 feet thick. In newer flats it can get pretty desperate. Budapest os typically a bit hotter. So if weather is key - go for further north. Scotland and Scandinavia can be great if weather is reasonable as long nights can be very pleasant. Edinburgh struggles to get past 25 and night is always comfortable for sleeping - but mornings can be hazy due to cold water of Firth of Forth and later afternoons are nicer.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 11:17 AM

I would do:
Vienna/Prague as first choice.
Ansterdam/Belgium-Brugges-Luxemberg
second.
BUT FYI : EUROPE IN THE SUMMER IS ALWAYS HOT!!!! SO, if you don't like the heat, go to Alaska .
Anyways, I would spend about 4 days in
Vienna and about 6-7 in Czech republic.
once you're there do not miss visiting
the town of Cesky Krumlov m Kutna Hora
and the bath towns, 3 day tours worth
doing and rest of the time in Prague.
YOU WILL LOVE THE CZECH REPUBLIC.!!!!
I've been there 2 times going into my
third. Have a great day!.
some wed. sites from prague:
prague.virtual.czecot.com
visitprague.cz
aroundprague.com
visitczech.cz
** a great tour company for the day
tours is : athos
www.athos.cz
you can do all the bookings via internet. Bye.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 05:40 PM
padbrasher

Thanks to all. It seems pretty clear-cut...all "advisors" recommend Vienna/Prague/Budapest over Belgium/Amsterdam or Ireland. So, I have called AA tonight to make reservations to Vienna and it's looking a little difficult returning from Prague, unless we want to stay a night in Zurich. Hopefully one of those Swiss Air flights will open up so we can make our connection to Chicago. The schedule now is departing Aug.2 and returning Aug. 12...a few days sooner than I would prefer, but again, that's what is currently available. Last minute planners can't be too choosy!

In conjunction with this trip, we are considering cashing in some of the many thousands of Marriott points that my husband has accumulated over the years. We have never stayed in a chain, much less American hotel before in all our European travels...but it seems silly not to avail ourselves to several nights free accomodations. That being said, does anyone out there have any experience with Marriott or Renaissance hotels in Vienna, Prague, Salzburg? Bad or good reviews? If I am going to go against my best hotel instincts and stay in one, I would like it to be a good experience!

Thanks again for all your help...especially the websites.

Old Apr 13th, 2004, 06:13 AM

You didn't ask about Budapest, but there is a Marriott on the Pest side right on the Danube that has received good reviews on this forum. We stayed on the other side, but saw the Marriott and it looked like a great location.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 07:02 AM

hi! good morning. I'm glad you're boo-
king Vienna/Prague. You will love it.
Both marriotts the one in Prague and the one in Budapest are excellent.the
Renaissance is also very good, directly in front of the Marriott building in Prague.Both great location
and great service. Yes,budapest is hot
but nothing to kill anyone. It's worst
in New York or Fla.
Check out the HILTONS, in both cities
I booked in both for $70.00 a night
including taxes and breakfast.
and I'm not kidding.!!!!!
Have a great day! don't forget the day
tours.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Looks like you've gone ahead with plans...haven't been to Vienna/Prague/ Budapest but certainly would recommend Ireland (2001 trip) or Scandinavia (2003 trip) for a family in August. We are senior travelers so went with Grand Circle but had free time also to explore. Actually, Greece and Spain aren't that bad in August...means lunching in outdoor cafes.

What to do this year? Haven't decided...but first we head to your city for several centennials in May: 1904 World's Fair and Lewis & Clark Expedition! (Used to live on Southside).
Bill Longman, Springfield, MO
[email protected]
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM
padbrasher

Ozarksbill:
Our travel plans are not yet finalized...I have until 4/23 to cash in the AA miles for our tickets or cancel.
Where did you visit in Scandinavia last year? What did you do there? It looks very beautiful, but I am not certain what sights/activities are in Denmark, Sweden etc. I must say the cooler weather looks very inviting.
Enjoy the Lewis & Clark exhibit at the History Museum in Forest Park while you are here. And do not overlook the new boathouse for lunch or a drink. The park really looks wonderful after all the renovation. Also don't forget the Cards and Ted Drewes for frozen custard.