Belgium maybe france - not sure

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to this big metal (music) fest in Belgium in june, I'll have aprox. 3 - 4 days after to spare - I'm really not sure if I should spend it in Belgium. My plan was to fly out of brussels (before this i'm spending over a week in germany cycling), I was thinking of visiting Ghent and Brugge, since they are on the train line (i'm not driving). I've been to brussels and wasnt impressed, I would hope, from what i've read those two towns are much more attractive.

I'm not familiar with france at all, but I love medieval and renaissance architecture and was wondering if there's any towns close by (to belgium) that would totally floor me - or would I be pleased with Ghent and Brugge?

or maybe there's some great cycling options - perhaps either in france or belgium? Like I mentioned, I adore architecture from the ancient or middle ages, castles, ruins, etc... but I also like forests, rivers, etc..

If anyone has any suggestions, your post would be much appreciated - thanks!
-Bill
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 10:00 PM

You could try the Ardenne in Belgium - hills, rivers, old castles, nice villages. Very different to a rock festival. Is the festival Graspop?
If so you are not far from the Netherlands. You could do a cycling tour in either or both countries.
You are also close to Antwerp which you may enjoy, and you could then carry on to Brugge. You may find Brugge a bit twee or you may fall in love with it.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:42 AM

Most people on this forum are definitely in the "fall in love with it" camp re Brugge. It is a very beautiful place well worth visiting but I did find it a "bit twee" and preferred Ghent. I haven't been to Antwerp (it is on my list of places to try to visit this fall, along with Mechelen. I have seen mention of a bike rides from MEchelen to Antwerp--for example
http://www.ohbike.org/trips/belgium/index.htm)
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:56 AM

Much of the medieval stuff in north-east France was flattened in the two great wars. I think, on balance, you will find more in Belgium -- or, at any rate, enough to engage you.

Belgian rail is good, and you can get around very easily. I'm with Vttraveler in preferring Ghent to Bruges, but you could visit both and make your own judgement. Other places that you might like are Antwerp and Louvain. I liked Ypres for the WW1 stuff (but no medieval, or even 19th century, buildings survive).
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 03:13 PM

The train from Brussels to Paris is only 1.5 hours...
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the festival is Graspop - Thanks for all the suggestions, is there any particular place in the Ardenne worth visiting?

If not I'm thinking I should visit Ghent and Bruges and maybe Antwerp, if time permits (i'm really just thinking of beer!)

if anyone has any more suggestions, I wouldn't mind =)

thanks
-Bill
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM

You might be interested in the first part of my report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34444403
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:35 AM

Bouillon is a nice town in the Ardennes. It hosts mountain bike races and you could easily do some road touring in the area. Though the town is quite small you may be interested in the towns Castle; It belonged to Godfrey of Bouillon, who financed and co-led the First Crusade. Another thing that's popular to do in the town, is to rent a kayak; typically the operators will drive you away from the city a set distance and you'll paddle back at your leisure (usually a half day trip).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillon
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:43 AM
ira

Hi I,

How much time at the festival and where?