Belfast and . . .

Sep 17th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Belfast and . . .

I'm going to be doing some work in Belfast in February. I assumed that one could fly directly into Belfast -- but apparently not. Should I be flying into Dublin?

Also, I plan to rent a car and explore after I'm thorugh working. What sightseeing do you recommend -- bearing in mind that it will be February?

Thanks so much.
Sep 17th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Hi Song,

Where are you flying from?

If from the US, Continental fly from NY to Belfast if that is any help.

If you fly into Dublin there is a frequent airport bus to Belfast at a cost of £6 one way and takes around 2 hours.

You could also fly to Lon Gatwick and take either an easyjet or flybe flight to Belfast. Cost would be anything from £20 - £100 depending how far you book in advance. Flybe go to Belfast City airport and it is a short taxi ride to the centre. Easyjet go to the International Airport and there is a bus to the centre.

If flying into Heathrow, BM fly to Belfast City but their fares are higher than the 'no frills airlines'

The one advantage of February is that the days will be getting longer (be positive!).

Let me know what interests you and I will be able to give you better advice.

Also where are you staying? If you don't have a hotel I can recommend some also.

Helen
Sep 17th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Helen -

Thank you SO much for the info. When I go Orbitz and similar sites there doesn't seem to be anything listed for Belfast airports. I'll be flying from Nashville. It sounds as if flying into Dublin might be the best bet.

Re: sightseeing . . . my main interests would be nature/beautiful scenery, historic sites, and castles. I drove up the west coast of Ireland many years ago, visiting the Dingle Peninsula, Galway, Connemara, and County Clare. But I'll be traveling with someone who has never been to Ireland, so I may re-visit Dingle.

I'll be attending a conference at the Belfast Hilton and will be staying there. However, after we leave Belfast, we'll be looking for places to visit and stay. I'm more interested in places with character and beautiful settings than anything fancy or pretentious. I was guessing I'd check out B&Bs.

Again, thanks for your help! Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sep 18th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Hi Song,

Are you sure about Dublin? You’ll still have to change planes and you can fly from Nashville to Newark and then onto Belfast. However I do not live in the US so you will know best.

How long do you have after your conference?

The most scenic places are
1. The North Antrim Coast. I love the high walk at the Giants Causway in winter. The Glens of Antrim would also be excellent but make sure you wrap up well. Bushmills and visit the Whiskey Factory. Dunluce Castle (this is a ruin with several different but wonderful tales about how it was burnt down). Cushendall and Cushendun both lovely villages. On the way back to Belfast Carrickfergus Castle

2. The Fermanagh Lakes and Enniskillen, the caves and Castle Coole the Ulster American folk park on the way.

3. If you like hiking the Mourne Mountains - wonderful scenery and very few other people other than walkers and locals know about their beauty. It is also the area where the Bronte family originated. The silent Valley drive is wonderful.

4. The North Down Coast nice drive along the coast to Portaferry and then take the ferry across the Lough to Strangford. The Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, Crawfordsburn Country Park Castleward
Mount Stewart and Castle Espie

6. Hillsborough and the Castle there (though it is more a stately home). This is the Queen's official residence in NI.

7. Belfast, the City Hall in Belfast, Belfast Castle (although this is a hotel), the Ulster Museum and the Linen hall Museum and the Titanic tour.

Helen
Sep 18th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Helen -
your suggestions sound terrific and I really appreciate your help. I'll be in Belfast four or five days and then will probably spend about a week exploring. By the way, I was able to find flights from Newark to Belfast.

Thanks again for your help.
Sep 19th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Hi Song.

I personally think Nashville/Newark/Belfast would be the least stressful.

With 5 days in Belfast and a further week I have a few other suggestions.
Downpatrick and Saul which is where St Patrick arrived and Armagh City which is the Ecclesiastical Capital of all Ireland.

You might also want to check out Donegal.

Post nearer the time and I will give you some routes.

Enjoy your trip

Helen
Sep 19th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Again, thank you so much. I've gotten some tour books and they should help me as well.

Are you in Ireland? You certainly seem knowledgable! Best regards.