COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Being overseas during a war

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 08:05 AM
Kelli

Being overseas during a war

My husband and I have a trip to Prague planned for early next month. We still plan to travel if the airlines are operating. However, I was wondering what would happen if a war was declared (or has it already been declared?) and we were overseas? Do we continue with our trip if the country seems safe or do we rush back home and would we have any trouble entering the US? I didn't travel overseas during the Gulf War so I'm not certain what would change if anything.
Any thoughts?

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Book Chick

Kelli,
The State Depart. web site will keep you updated on any unrest in the country or countries you're visiting. (If things are truly hostile, they will advise you against travel.)

If you are in danger, or feel immediate trouble headed your way, you can contact the American Embassy of the country you're visiting. However, I understand that if there were a "mob" scene & you actually needed to seek physical refuge, you should go to the Swiss Embassy. Because the Red Cross is an international organization, they would usually arrange safe accomodations for you, make certain you have food, etc.

Under your particular set of circumstances, the way things stand now, it looks like you can simply go on vacation. (And I'm going on my planned vacation to France next month unless the State Dept. says otherwise.)
Best Wishes,
BC

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 05:44 AM
xxx

War has not been declared officially. My wife is from Poland and her relatives are saying that things are stable there. Most countries are on the side of the US in this case. In fact, I heard the US flag is flying in a lot of places in support of our country. If you are a legal resident or citizen of the country you will not be denied access including in times of war. It might be a lot of delays coming in but you wont be stuck somewhere unless air travel is shut down again. We are taking a honeymoon to Spain and most of the people have been sympathetic overseas.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 10:24 AM
aimee

Kelli: I was living overseas in Paris during the Gulf War. None of my friends or family members from the US had any trouble visiting me. The other posters are right when they said to just keep checking with the State Department. By the way, I had a wonderful time while there and was able to travel throughout most of Europe with absolutely no trouble. Have a great trip. I leave for Europe on Tuesday if my flight isn't canceled.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:26 PM
XXX

The U.S. State Department sent a cable Friday telling foreign embassies to alert U.S. citizens living overseas to be prepared for possible evacuation.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:21 PM
umm

The way I see it, the State department was simply reminding the emassy staffs to do their jobs.

To touch base with Americans living abroad in their respective countries, to keep the lines of communication open, to remind American citizens that this is one of the chief functions of an (American) embassy, to serve (our) citizens in times of need.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:10 PM
b

Today the State Dept. issued a travel alert for Americans abroad anywhere in the world.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 05:49 PM
StCirq

No, b, the State Department did NOT issue a warning to Americans abroad anywhere in the world - it issued a statement to Americans stationed abroad in embassies and affiliate entities. It warned them to be ready for emergency evacuation and to have their passports and whatever else they may need to travel quickly in an emergency situation.

That is quite different from a blanket warning to Americans abroad anywhere. As with anything, it's important to READ and comprehend the exact message. The paranoia that can spread from NOT reading carefully and comprehending the true message is more frightening sometimes than the original message itself.

And Kelli: You will never have a problem getting back into the USA from anywhere as long as you have plane tickets and a passport. It's not as though the USA blocks off entry to its own citizens during a war. If you're concerned about traveling during a period during which war may be declared, just keep abreast of the news and if necessary contact the American Embassy in the country you're in. I can't imagine travel to Prague would in any way be affected by anything the Administration is considering. You're probably safer there than in any major US city, by the way. And why would you think the airlines might not be operating? Just curious. Commercial airlines don't stop delivering passengers to places during war, unless they are headed to places directly affected by the war and the airports are compromised or a country has barred us from landing. You'll be fine!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:03 PM
john

Kelli,

I wouldn't be worrying about Gulf War II in Iraq. You are going to Prague.

I landed in Frankfurt in January 1991. The tarmac was covered by military transports. While I was there the war started. The other 5 fellows in our group all panicked. They cancelled their return PanAm (remember that one) flights and booked on Lufthansa. I stayed with PanAm figuring that the security would be so tight that even a maggot couldn't slither through. We all returned without a hitch. I received my frequent flyer miles, which are now in the bank at Delta.

Why would you think that you would have trouble entering the USA? I came back from Amsterdam two weeks ago and didn't even get a stamp in my passport.

Fear: we have nothing to fear save that itself, to paraphrase FDR. Don't let the bastards get you down. Go and enjoy Praha, cut glass and Pilsner Urquell and the Charles Bridge and all the rest.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:13 PM
ros

Yes, "Don't let the bastards get you down" The War Hawks and Chicken Hawks.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:16 PM
vaugh

a chicken hawk is a war hawk who never fought in battle but acts like a war hawk....for anyone who didn't understand the above post.

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 03:18 AM
dove

Wow, I didn't know that. . . So this means that George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and Condoleeza Rice are all chicken hawks! Thanks for the new term.