Beer bottles with checked luggage

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:56 AM
gn

Beer bottles with checked luggage

Sorry for this simple question, but has anyone had trouble with air pressure and beer bottles when they're placed with checked luggage? Trying to come home from Germany with a few surprises for the gang. Danke.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Paige

I've done it several times and never had a problem. Usually the bottles are meant to be reused, so they're much thicker and heavier than disposable ones.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Dick

Airliners are pressurized to the equivalent of about 6000 to 7000 of altitude (both passenger and baggage compartments). That's [very] roughly equal to about 80% of the normal air pressure at sea level, so there's not much chance that your beer bottles will have a problem.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 12:26 AM
gn

Thanks, I was hoping to hear a positive response.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 02:04 AM
xxx

I hope you have hard sided luggage and the bottles are triple protected. Baggage handlers don't treat suitcases with kid gloves. Your suitcase could be at the bottom of a pile with 10 suitcases on top of it.

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Paige

I've always checked mine in hard sided suitcases but a friend wrapped his bottles in socks in the middle of his clothes in his soft sided backpack, no problem. Most German beer bottles are heavy duty and don't break easily. Either way, make sure they have lots of padding.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Shanna

Hi, gn. Last year I brought wine back from Germany in my checked suitcase. Packed it in the middle, wrapped in socks and other cushioning items (also had some delicate glasses. No breakage, but none of the wine was carbonated. That might be a problem. If you would please, you can bring some Belheiemer beer back for me. I'll join your gang.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Marie

Every year I bring back german beer in those oversized cans by putting them in my make-up case. Never had any problems.