Bedbugs What to do to protect yourself.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bedbugs What to do to protect yourself.

Planning a trip to Europe and wanted to know if anyone had any ideas on
how not to bring bedbugs home. Never was a concern before, but now it all you
see in the news. Has anyone used the spray from Magellens? Any other tips except
the don't lay things on the floor, etc. Really seems hard to do everything. I was thinking
about just taking older things and throwing them away, suitcase, slippers, etc.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 05:02 AM

Where in Europe are you going? I live in London and travel alot in Europe and have never given bed bugs any thought. Not saying it isnt a problem but I am not sure why it would be a concern now compared to previously.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 05:13 AM
RJD

When we were attacked by bed bugs in a nice Paris apartment last year, I went on the net for information. The best I found was the Wikipedia article on the subject. We used calamine lotion purchased locally to soothe the bites and following the advice from all the sites, we threw away our suitcases and most of the contents when we got home home. Wasn't enough; we got them at home anyway. Finally got rid of them with a spray from Home Depot and full plastic bed covering for the new mattress and box spring.
This was not an experience we want to repeat.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, having an exterminating problem at home now, not with bed bugs, and certainly don't want another. But, I still want to travel, thinking of going to Spain next trip. That's why I'm still working at 68. Also, will have to be very careful, in the US. One more global thing to worry about, but not stopping me from traveling.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 05:28 AM
J62

What do I do to protect myself?

In my opinion any time spent worrying about bedbugs is more of a problem than bedbugs themselves. The thought of throwing a suitcase away just as a precaution sounds downright silly to me. If I threw away a suitcase every time I took a trip I'd be a majority stakeholder in Samsonite by now.

Sure, problems can happen as RJD said, but you can't guard yourself against every single possibility of something going wrong on a trip without going bonkers.

I always carry some sort of anti-itch lotion in my travel med kit regardless of where I'm going. Beyond that I don't do anything.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 06:02 AM
RJD

Bed bugs haven't kept us from traveling. We were in Rome in May in another nice apartment near the Spanish Steps. No problems and we still have our suitcases purchased in 2009.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 06:05 AM

Stay somewhere Americans haven't stayed. They seem to be the ones with the bedbug problem - and who's to say they aren't importing them into Europe.

Honestly I never give bed bugs a thought. Just not an issue here.
If you believed all the reports you could spend so much time worrying about what you might catch while travelling that you never leave the house.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 06:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taking a large group of Europeans to New York next spring. They are all worried about bedbugs in their hotel room.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM

Yup. If there are recent news about bedbugs they are about the US, not Europe.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 07:37 AM

I just returned from 2 weeks in Spain and saw no evidence of bedbugs in the low-end accommodations we used.

For a couple years now (since I first heard of bedbug problems) I've had a few precautionary practices I've followed - keep your suitcase in a large plastic bag and keep your belongings in the plastic-enclosed bag. Discard the plastic bag, not the luggage. Since I travel with one 21 inch bag this is do-able (another reason to travel light!)

When you enter a room pull the sheets off the corners of the bed. Look at the mattress and around it, folds in the linens, curtains, and nearby furniture. Look for the waste or dark spots. You probably won't see live ones, but they look like little mini-cockroaches. There are websites with photos of the debris and black spots they leave behind.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
If you have been staying in NYC, please do not bring your bedbugs to Europe. We really don't have very many of them.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Check out "space bags". They make a product called Travel Bags. I put all my clothes, shoes, everything in them and bring extra ones for dirty clothes and to store my purse etc. They even make a bag the can be hung in a closet. I swithced from Suitcases to duffle bags that are cheap and I can through away (which lessens your weight as well). I also email the hotel that I'm going to and ask them what precautions they are taking regarding the bed bug situation. When I return I put the duffle bag in a trash can liner, seal it and put in trunk for the ride home, open duffle outside, put clothes in dryer for 1 hour plus (heat of 102 degrees for over an hour kills the bugs). Don't forget to search your hotel room daily, they love to hitch hike. There is also a sleeping bag that you can purchase to sleep in.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM

I don't think I would travel anymore if I were that worried.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM

There have been reports of bedbugs all over the US and all over the world. This doesn't means you can;'t travel - it means you need to check out the room before you bring your luggage in.

You can check the mattress for the bugs and their excreta - and if you find it you get another room. If it's in 2 rooms I would get another hotel. And price, location is no guarantee. A friend of mine and her kids staying in a 4* in Orlando we bitten and infested. Had to move to another room (after they checked it out ), replace their luggage and have ALL of their clothing dry cleaned to kill the critters. They eventually sued the hotel to have it pay for everything.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM

It boggles the mind. First Al Qaeda, now bedbugs. Please remember to pack your masks, gloves and insecticide, and don't forget to also have a big magnifying glass to fully inspect the room "before you bring your luggage in".

Don't you realize that maybe the plane is full of bedbugs, too? Please tell Homeland Security that you need to make an inspection of both the seats and the baggage hold before you accept to get on the plane.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 01:10 PM

Wear a condom from head to toe.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 01:34 PM

Live in the Uk travel in Europe...never thought about it, never heard it mentioned except on this forum.
Zeppole's idea might be the best....
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 04:14 AM

kerouac on Nov 7, 10 at 5:05pm
"It boggles the mind. First Al Qaeda, now bedbugs... "

To compare an international terror group to an insect infestation displays a remarkable lack of sensativity to all who have suffered at the hands of terrorists, including those in the middle-East, Europe, Asia, Africa, and the US.

Discussing a concern of travelors on this board is a purpose of the board. I'm happy to report I have never had a problem in any city of any country I have visited (including NYC). There are,however, multiple reports of others who have experienced both the physical and financial repercussions of bedbugs.

An innocent question of the original poster describes a problem we in the USA have heard of. Since they are travelling to Euope they asked if it would be a problem there. I'm sure no offense was intended.

Those of us who answered with a suggestion of how to establish that they were safe in their lodgings mean only to provide reassurance that their are things you can do to protect yourself, no matter where you are going to be lodging.

Per Wikipedia:
"Bedbugs occur around the world. Rates of infestations in developed countries, while decreasing from the 1930s to the 1980s, have increased dramatically since the 1980s. Previous to this they were common in the developing world but rare in the developed world. The increase in the developed world may have been caused by increased international travel, resistance to insecticides, and the use of new pest-control methods that do not affect bedbugs."
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 04:23 AM

"To compare an international terror group to an insect infestation displays a remarkable lack of sensativity to all who have suffered at the hands of terrorists, including those in the middle-East, Europe, Asia, Africa, and the US."

Or over-sensitivity on your part especially as he was refering to the way - mainly - Americans react to some vaguely defined perceived threat.

In this case it is especially tenuous as the main problem with bedbugs is IN the US, with a minimal problem in Europe and hence leaving the US is significantly reducing their bedbug risk.

So for the OP, the best way to avoid bedbugs is to ensure that everything you own is fumigated BEFORE you leave the US
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 04:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know the news media...anything is a major news story and when we aren't being bombarded by terror groups there has to be SOME way to keep folks interested and kinda scared so the bedbugs have obviously been a real salvation....sometimes I think the news media is a worse terror group than anyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -