bed &breakfasts in Rome

Search

bed &breakfasts in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bed &breakfasts in Rome

My daughter and I only have from a Mon AM arrival flight to a Fri midnight departure flight in Rome, so we want to maximize our time without a harrowing pace. I looked up B&B's and because of the google translated Eng, I couldn't tell if the prices quoted were total for a double room for 2 people, or if I had to multiply the fee by 2. We are on a budget(sigh) but want to see as much of the ancient city and Vatican area as possible. Is Pompeii worth a 3 hr trip w our limited time? Where else did you most enjoy? Can we get ourselves around the city with a good tour book, or will we be totally lost if not on an organized tour? Any suggestions for beauty on a budget will be greatly appreciated. Is it worth it to pay for a taxi from the airport? Any special suggestions for a music teacher? We have an exhausting trip ahead of us, how do we maximize this old lady's (60) physical endurance, so I live long enough to get to Africa? I know a room with a view of the Coliseum is probably impossible on a budget, but that would be ideal. Have people had good experiences w B&B's? I am a total novice traveler (not by choice) and don't want to make big mistakes.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:07 PM

It would be helpful to people here if you would give a price range you were hoping for.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:08 PM

Forgot to add -- there is so much to see in Rome, I wouldn't go to Pompeii on this trip. Spend some time looking at the destinations portion of this website for some ideas of what you're interested in and then post back with more detailed questions. Also search this board for topics too. I learned a lot that way, without ever posting a question. Do be aware of the dates on people's posts -- five years old on a hotel, you might question its accuracy now.

Most people on this board don't advocate multi-day tours. A partial day tour of the ancient monuments might be enjoyable to you, as you will learn so much more from one. But if the budget is tight you'll be fine without it.

Given your interests, there is a museum of musical instruments in Rome; I didn't make it there although I wanted to. Also, of course, there is the church of St. Cecilia in Trastevere, a neighborhood in Rome; she is traditionally known as the patroness of music. It could be you find an evening concert to attend at a church in Rome.

You will also want to look at convents for a place to stay. My aunt and uncles really enjoyed their stay at one recently. Check the Santa Susanna website for a list. I would try to stay near Piazza Navona or the Pantheon. Maybe a view of the Colosseum might be nice, but right next to it there's a lot of traffic.

Good luck and ask more questions as you have them. Here's the link:

http://www.santasusanna.org/ourChurch/ourChurch.html

Other Fodorites have recommended but I did not end up needing this shuttle:
http://www.airportshuttle.it/
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:21 PM

Hi

If you state your budget for two people and when you are going you'll get lots of assistance in this forum.

B&B: B&Bs are fine. They are my preference because they are more homely than the hotels. I stayed in the Termini area which was fine but you'll be encouraged by posters in this forum to stay in the Spanish Steps area. This B&B looks like a great deal for €72 (two people) http://www.bandbcenterofroma.it. Book ASAP. This one looks OK too but doesn't quote prices so you will need to email - http://utenti.lycos.it/BedbrekRoma/. Closer to the Colosseum - http://www.bbbluerose.com.

Pompeii: Fantastic site, well worth it. You could do it in a day though it would be rushed. I would use the 5 days to chill out in Rome - you can stay 5 years there, easy!

Rome: A good tour book is fine. Rome is a compact city and you won't get lost - well for a while you might but it will be fun. If you want an organized tour this site gets plenty of plugs from this forum - http://rome.contexttravel.com

Airport transfers: Express train to the Termini €12 each. I would be inclined to take a taxi - it's not alot more. It's just the way I like to do it. After a long haul flight I can't be bothered saving €20 - just take me to my accommodation!

Buon viaggio
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can search for hotels, B&B's, apartments by neighborhood on www.venere.com.

I would use a limo service from the airport. By the time you pay for express train to Termini plus a taxi from there to you hotel you've spent what a limo would cost and had a lot more hassle. I've used www.limoservicerome.com (there are several others) and it will cost 45 Euro for 3 people. They will ask your flight time and wait in arrivals at the aiport with a sign with your name on it. You will need to use the ATM at the airport to get Euro to pay them.

If you want to spend a day in Pompeii, take an early ES train (about 25Euro one way)from Termini to Naples. In Naples, you change to the local commuter train(about 2 Euro one way), Circumvesuviana. Get off at the Pompeii Scavi stop and the entrance to Pompeii is across the road.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:21 AM

I have heard the Hotel Lancelot is nice (breakfast is included in the room price) and many rooms have a view of the Colosseum. However, it is not in one of the areas most populated by tourists.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:01 AM

My favorite B&B in Rome is www.casadellapalma.com but there are many lovely B&B's there.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:19 AM

I would skip a few of the smaller tourist things in rome and take a day and 1/2 to go to pompeii. I was there about 8 years ago and it was one of the best destinations i saw in all of Europe. Totally worth cramming it in.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

We will be arriving Mon., 9AM July 31, 2006 and leave the following Friday PM. I am going to print out all of this, look at all the web sites--some I have already--and continue to read the 2 books I bought on Rome which seem very specific and helpful. I would love to hear more opinions on Pompeii, since that will be a big decision for our time, and more of my dream than my daughter's. She might complain about all the dead plaster casts, but I am somehow moved by the commonality of human experience and tragedy, and the Historical present" of this dramatic moment in time. I was a History and English major; she is music. I want to say that I am new to this forum and now totally addicted to it, but I am going out of town for the next couple of days for a sibling birthday party--that's a big trip at my house.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

What am I doing wrong that my message gets sent in the middle of a thought or before I edit my bad typing? I love and appreciate your replies and suggestions;I just didn't want you to think I'm not interested when I'm away from my computer. is it true there are international teacher discounts? That would be merciful. I know we aren't going to be able to do Rome justice, but we want to do the best we can without totaling exhausting ourselves (mainly me, the one who is twice as old) I was touched by the reference to the Santa Susanna convent, since my daughter had a baby girl who died who was named Susannah. Thanks for caring and peace to all on their journeys. I'll be rushing back from rural Virginia to see what else is here.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:06 PM

Bookmarking.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM

You might consider the Nicolas Inn for a B&B in Rome. It's very convenient to the Forum, Colosseum, Piazza Venezia and easily walkable to Spanish Steps, Trevi, Piazza Navonna, Pantheon, etc.

The cost for a double for us last September was 150 Euros/night. The owners are very helpful with restaurant recommendations, tours, etc., and the wife is an American, a feature many English-speaking tourists find helpful.

The website is nicolasinn.com

KC