Bed and Breakfasts in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are thinking of stopping in Ireland for a few days on our way to the continent in May 2019. We love bed and breakfasts generally, especially in France. I started looking for accommodation and was fairly frustrated by the site I tried. They would advertise one price then it would quickly change to a much higher one as soon as I clicked on the specific home.
Has anyone got any ideas about finding good and reasonable bed and breakfast accommodation there?
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 08:50 AM

Your post is rather vague. Site, what site?

It could be the site advertises the lowest rate for the B & B which would be a winter / low season rate. Once you enter your dates for May (not low season) obviously the rates would increase.

We have been to Ireland more than a dozen times with our shortest trip being about 10 nights. Usually we try to spend at least 14 nights. Our process is to map out our route, choose the towns we want to stay in, research reviews on Tripadvisor, then book directly with the B & B, guesthouse, hotel, whatever.

Here are a few sites:
Official Tourism Website:
https://www.discoverireland.ie/

Some B & B's, guesthouses we can recommend:
Bantry House & Garden, Bantry, Cork
https://www.bantryhouse.com/accommodation.html

Seashore Farm Guesthouse, Kenmare, Kerry
https://www.bantryhouse.com/accommodation.html

Killarney Lodge, Killarney, Kerry
https://killarneylodge.ie/

Hazelbrook B & B, Westport, Mayo
Hazelbrook Bed and Breakfast, Westport, Co Mayo, Ireland
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 09:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Your post is rather vague. Site, what site?<<

ditto -- what site are you looking at? I've never had a problem finding B&Bs and their rates.

One strategy -- If there is a specific town or village you are interested in -- you can just google 'B&Bs near xyz' and then use the map that results to look at the individual websites - perhaps checking Trip Advisor reviews but I do take them with a grain of salt -- lots of fakes.
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 07:25 AM

For several years, we had great success with TA but we employ a particular strategy and use several other sites to check reviews as well to ensure consistency. Certainly the reviews we submit are not fake.

To the OP, if you tell us the area in the Republic of Ireland you wish to visit and the max budget per night in USD or euros we can help you with specific lodgings recommendations.

You mention "a few days" in your first post.....just remember getting around Ireland can be slow going, so you will not see the entire country in a few days.
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 09:00 AM

A lot of booking sites show you the cheapest price possible, which is the cheapest room and prepaid. Of course there is nothing unusual about that. But B&B sites wouldn't have as many room options I wouldn't think but I agree it could just be a low season rate showing.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information. We love bed and breakfasts because my wife and I love the interaction with the hosts as well as other guests. We finally made all our reservations through Booking.com which is for apartments with kitchens, with breakfast included which service we often use but it is not the same as true bed and breakfasts. As I may have mentioned, we thoroughly enjoyed them when we drove across France a few years ago.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 07:28 PM

-I am confused . . . Your post doesn't really make sense.

Booking.com isn't primarily 'for apartments with kitchens'. It lists all sorts of properties - hotels, self catering apartments with kitchens, 'true' B&B's, etc. Though I seldom use the site for B&B's.
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Dear janisj. What doesn't make sense? When I refer to bed and breakfasts, I mean staying in a home where breakfast is made by the host and where we get an opportunity to meet other guests. Renting an apartment with a kitchen is appropriate sometimes but I do like the interaction with people in true bed and breakfasts. Thst is what i was trying to convey.
Old May 1st, 2019, 07:47 PM

>>Dear janisj. What doesn't make sense? <<

Just to clarify -- your earlier post seemed to say Booking.com only offers apartments and not B&Bs. Whereas it offers, everything pretty much - hotels, resorts, hostels, B&B's, apartments.
Old May 4th, 2019, 03:21 AM

BandBIreland.com

Try BandBIreland.com

it has worked well for most of my Southern and western trips to Ireland. Has not been too much of a help on my next itinerary to northern Ireland and the north west. You can also try TripAdvisor and putting in the name of the town and the words bed-and-breakfast.You didn’t specify what regions you wanted to travel to or which airports so it’s a little hard to be specific.