beautiful samos: mini trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Greek Island just off the coast of Turkey is very rarely discussed here. I suspect that its because people are keeping its wonders to themselves rather than Fodor conservatism.
Indeed it is beautiful. I stayed in Pythagorian which is very close to the airport and has a pretty post full of ships and restaurants.
I stayed at the Anthis apartments which is highly recommended on trip advisor but not one that I would recommend, only because it is a way out of the town. For some reviewers on that site this wasn’t a problem, but I think it is real issue.
Pythagorian has some very ancient sites that are worth short visits, and the museum is interesting although quite hot because of poor ventilation.
It also has some wonderful restaurants where we never once had a poor meal – it is cheap to eat and drink , but not as cheap as nearby Turkey.
People come back time and time to Samos, I suspect this is because it is exceptionally friendly, and this seems to have an impact on the tourists and it becomes one big melting pot. Never have I been to an Island where I have made friends so quick with Norwegians, Germans and Dutch
These were where I ate and there wasn’t much to choose between them, maybe Aphrodite restaurant takes the edge.
http://www.irodion-restaurant.com/
http://aphrodite-restaurant.gr/
http://www.eliarestaurant-samos.gr/
Also: Casa di Roma and the eccentric Tarzania restaurant.
Wherever you stay on Samos make sure you go on Captain Yanis’ boat trip which is excellent value and the most bizarre experience you can have. Captain Yanis (plus his baby goats) take you for a days sailing to blissful beaches and includes a lovely Bar-B-Q and drinks. It is definitely not for the shy and retiring.

Samos is also a good place for excursions to other islands like Patmos, and it is a mere 60 minutes boat ride to Ephesus.

Although I thoroughly recommend Pythagorian it is nothing compared to Kokari on the North of the island – I have never been to such a romantic place. This is a truly beautiful place in a jaw dropping setting and not even the villages of the Cinque Terre or Santorini can come anywhere near it. That is where I will stay on my return visit.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 02:29 PM

Sounds great...thank you.
How do you go across from Turkey?
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 03:06 PM

Pythagorion is a sweet little town and the harbour is very
attractive. Samos town is larger and has a very nice small
museum with a huge kouros and atrifacts from the early history
of the island.

A ferry runs daily to Kusadasi in Turkey and back again.

We spent two weeks on Samos at the end of Sept to early Oct.
and the biggest disadvantage to that time frame was the end
of season-closing-for-the-winter feel. Many of the restos
outside of the two main towns were shuttered even though
there were lots of tourists around and the sea was still
warm for swimming.

Samos has a different feel that the usual suspect isles -
Naxos, Paros, Santorini, etc. Much greener and not
as touristic. And, of course, it's very close to Turkey
so very easy to hop over by the ferry for a taste of Greece.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Yes immimi, I had heard the season starts late and ends early, and yet I suspect (having not been at either end) that the weather will be excellent, was that the case for you?. What I failed to mention is that Samos is famous for its walking but it must depend on the weather- when we were there early June it was far too hot (in the 40's centigrade).
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 02:00 AM

Hi Steve

Have you got any photos?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 02:17 AM

Such high temperatures are unusual for Greece and of course also for Samos in early June.......
The season usually goes from May till midle of October.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Yes clausar, indeed they are unusual. The natives explained that they also were experiencing changes in climate (akin to our miserable summers in the UK). They say they are experiencing more peaks and troughs - with much earlier peaks in temperatures and then a settling down to more normal temperatures but with chances of unsettled weather.

workdinabag, my better half is the photographer but I will try and pinch some off her for displaying ... but will need to work out how I can share these (I'm a bit thick that way!).
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 05:49 AM

We stayed in Samos 5 years ago and absolutely loved it. It's time for us to go back! We enjoyed our hotel, the Kerveli Village Hotel on Kerveli Bay. From our deck we had a view overlooking a garden with bougainvillea, the bay, and Turkey in the distance. We could walk down to the beach and there were two tavernas there serving delicious meals. Thank you, Steve, for reminding us of this beautiful place.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

jrjcollins, I heard that Kerveli Bay is beautiful although it sounds as if it may be rather too quiet for my liking, did you get out and about anywhere?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 10:15 AM

Yes, Kerveli Bay is quiet but that's why we liked it. It think we're quite a bit older than you are . We had a rental car and found it easy to go all around the island from there. Among the places we went were the Paleontology museum at Mitilini, the Megalils Panayias Monastery, the Temple of Hera remains, the Paragias Spillianis Monastery (inside a cave), the Efpalinion Tunnel (which we hiked), the Archeological Museum at Samos Town, and the mountain village of Manolates. Thanks for reminding us about this beautiful place, Steve.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM

Steve, the Capt. Yannis boat trip sounds interesting. Did you have to reserve it ahead of time? How long was it and do you remember the price? I can't seem to find a website for it.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:35 PM

► 0:21► 0:21

Plenty on Google
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nHiWIsdRQQ

and much more.....
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi jrjcollins. You do have to book the evening before to be safe although I suspect you can book on the day. The price was incredible - 29 euros all in (we couldnt believe it). I suspect I am probably as old if not older - but very young at heart, Captain Yiannis boat trip population was slanted more to the older person. The atmosphere made for mixing and a Norwegian boy in his 30s adopted me - which was quite nice - he was amazed by my feat of moving my feet in directions completely opposite to everyone elses (it wasnt as cheesy as it sounds but go with an open mind and heart).

You get a sense of what it was like from Youtube (thanks Tommo)- there are also clips of Captain Yiannis and his baby goats, they insisted on giving everyone a nibble.

I am a very keen walker and I have heard the north of the island is beautiful for walking - we did not walk this time as my better half has a poorly foot.
Old Feb 11th, 2016, 10:38 AM

Samos is a wonderful place to visit and last time we were there we had fantastic time over there. So much green around and great places to visit. We also did some seakayak and visited the watefalls in Karlovasi Check the video on this page, one of the best describing Samos island http://anema.gr/hotels-in-samos/
Old Feb 11th, 2016, 11:50 AM

Another new poster resurrecting a four year old thread! Why do I think this is advertising for a hotel?