Search

Beatchick are you back?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 10:47 AM
aj
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beatchick are you back?

I hope that you had a wonderful trip! Any information you want to share before I leave Thursday?
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:33 PM

topping...hoping to hear all about your escapades.
Old May 5th, 2003, 02:12 PM

Beatchick is back.
She is currently involved in getting back to life as usual.
We will have to nag her a bit and get her to produce that trip report...which from what I heard was an excellent trip
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:33 PM

Hi Jane! Yes, as Scarlett says, it was a trip of a lifetime!!

The things I want to share:
1) had a blast in Paris!
2) my fave new restaurant is Le Vieux Bistro near Notre Dame (tell Philippe I said "Hi!&quot
3) escargot is better than I expected
3) whatever problems Bofinger was having in the past with service issues seems to be resolved now - they treated me wonderfully there
4) the French were sooo nice and good to me - I've never felt so welcomed in all my life - recieved several compliments on either my French or my attempts at speaking French - they were so very, very kind.
5) the Magritte expo at the Musee de Jeu de Paume is really cool
6) if for some reason it gets hot during your trip - head to the Pantheon, which turned out to be the coldest place in town (gee -wonder if it's those high ceilings)
7) fave new crepe flavor is citron sucre (lemon sugar)
8) fave Laduree macaroon flavor is Pistache (I really thought it would chocolate, Scarlett, but pistachio wins out)
9) if you want my list of Amelie haunts to track down in Montmartre, just e-mail me at home and I'll be happy to send to you ([email protected])
10) about 5-10 minutes from the Jeanne d'Arc is an internet cafe called Akyrion on rue Charlemagne - ask Stephan at the hotel, he will give you the card with directions (about 6 or 7 euro per hour)
11) I really love the people at Cafe Tabac Jean Bart (right on the corner of rue Caron & rue St-Antoine - rue Caron is the street the runs from the middle of Place St-Catherine) - they'll fix you great cup of cafe creme in the morning or fix you up with some frites & cidre at midnight when are the restos in the area are closed.
12) for a raucous college bar experience, hit Connolly's Corner (gee - wonder how I noticed that??) on rue Mirbel in the 5th - I can't even begin to give directions but you should be able to find it on Les Pages Jaunes.
13) please tell everyone at the Jeanne d'Arc I said "hello!! and I had a great time there"
14) Laduree on the Champs Elysees apparently doesn't do continuous service - I arrived one day just after breakfast and was told I'd have to come back in an hour or so - thought you might want to know that.
15) I found the Musee Picasso to be underwhelming (but I wasn't a huge fan anyway) but I could've stayed in the Musee Carnavalet forever - and the Maison Victor Hugo was cool, too. My fave was the Musee Marmottan - I found the d'Orsay to be wonderful but very overwhelming.
16) I had creme brulee & Sancerre at every opportunity - wonderful!!

Good Lord, is that enough info??
Jane, hope you have a great, fabulous, serendipitous time in Paris!!!

Hi, Wren!! : ) I've been typing up my trip report & really, really do hope to have it done this weekend. Sorry, sorry.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:28 PM

YAY! Glad to see you Beatchick!
Sitting here, wishing I were indulging in a crepe with chocolate or citron sucre~
Scarlett
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:14 PM

Hi Beatchick!

Wow, sounds as if you had a most wonderful time in Paris.
Well, how could one not?? ;o)

Glad to hear you liked the Magritte exhibit. It's on my list as well just like the Chagall one at the Grand Palais.

We'll be going to the Bastille Opera to see one of Bejart's ballet on May 30. Can't wait.
Ordering tickets online was just very easy to do and I got them within only three days.

Also booked a table for lunch at Violon d'Ingres. It has been on my list for almost years.

And, of course, I'll hit Laduree, too, as always!
And then Gerard Mulot and Jean-Paul Hevin chocolatier... and I am saying this being Swiss! ;o)

If any of you should be interested in photography, don't miss the very recently opened Henri Cartier-Bresson Foundation in Montparnasse (near Gaite metro stop).
Check full address and opening hours in Pariscope!

aj: Have a wonderful time!
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:26 AM

Beatchick, aren't you the one who loves Le Mont Blanc at Angelina? Tell me you didn't pass that up this trip!
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:46 AM

Hi Ursala!
We saw Bejart here in NYC sometime ago, and I have never forgotten it! They are amazing
Also, last time in Paris we had dinner with friends at Le Violin. It was great and I wish I could go back, like this weekend
Have a wonderful time, eat some chocolate for me~Scarlett
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:54 AM

I agree about Le Vieux Bistro - small charming restaurant with excellent food, the beef bourgigan (wow bad spelling, you know the beef stew!)is to die for!
welcome back
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Welcome back beatchick! Always a pleasure to read about Paris trip reports. It seems that I'll not get a trip there this year as I've done for the past 3 years, so I'll have to continue reading about it.

Ursala, Chagall is one of my favorite's- I want a full report of the exhibit!

Wendy
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:47 PM

Lots of good info -- what I found rather funny is that I rented an apt. on rue Mirbel and noted it was near some English or Australian bar named Connolly's. I'm going next month, but I don't think I'm right next door, and my apt. is on the 4th floor, so I suppose it won't be noisy from that. I'm a little old for the college crowd, but maybe it will be a good place to get a pint or so.

I love Cartier-Bresson and was pleased to find mention elsewhere that there is a special exhibition of his work right now at the Bibliotheque Nationale, Mitterand site at quai F. Mauriac (29 Apr thru 27 July), 10 am-7 pm Tu-Sat and noon-7 pm on Sunday. I plan to see that, as well as the Chagall and maybe I'll check out his Foundation, also, if I have time.

Old May 18th, 2003, 08:14 PM

Yes, Scarlett, the Nutella crepe, surely an all-time fave!!

Hi Ursula! I really enjoyed the Magritte exhibit and REALLY, REALLY wanted to do the Chagall but the day that I was in that area it was closed. Will you let me know how it goes? And thanks for the tip on the Opera Bastille tix! When do you get to go?

Grandmere, I've waited this long to answer you because I didn't wish to disappoint, but, yes, I did miss Angelina this trip. But I will always return to Paris & when I take my kids, of course, it will be a definite on the itinerary!! I did try a marron macaroon hoping to curb the desire for a Mont Blanc but it wasn't even close.

Thank you, SashaZ! It's good to be back. And it IS divine!

Hi, Wendy! Thanks! Maybe next year, cherie??

Hey Christina! Connolly's Corner is on 12 r. Mirbel so I hope it's not too close. And somehow the noise didn't really spill out onto the street because I recall I was almost on top of the place before I realized I was there. But it's a cool place - one of those places where everyone seemed to know each other, like family.

Hey, Jane, are you back yet?? If not, hope you're having a faboo time in Paris!!
Old May 18th, 2003, 09:08 PM

thanks for the trip report (on another post)...I very much enjoyed it--I can't wait to see and simply BE in Paris in October!

Just had a quick question: How were you able to get a view room at Jeanne d'Arc (I just received my reservation/confirmation on Friday)? Since I won't be there till a few months, I feel silly requesting a view room now. Should I email and request one anyway? Or is this something you do when you reconfirm a few days prior to arrival or ON the day of arrival?

THANKS AND WELCOME BACK!!!
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:04 PM

Hey Craisin!

Glad you liked the trip report!!

I e-mailed them and asked them what floor, what color, etc. my room was. And when they e-mailed back the details to me I asked if I could have a higher floor. They then placed me on the 5th floor & when I got there they said when another room higher up would open up they'd give it to me. But I was fine in my room so just stayed there - as long as I could peer over rooftops I was okay. And it's not really a "view" view, just a streetside view with a glimpse into the Impasse de la Poissonerie, which was pretty cool!

I did reconfirm by phone a few days before I left.