Beach suggestions

Search

Beach suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beach suggestions

We are planning our honeymoon to Turkey this Fall. I promised my fiance we would have a couple relaxing days at the beach (vs. my crazy site seeing agendas!), but now we're trying to figure out which beach and it's all very confusing to me how to pick one that we will love and fits into our schedule.

Like everyone else, we love nice sand, beautiful scenery, and blue, clear water...and of course, nice accommodations near/on the beach help too! As long as there are some decent restaurants and perhaps a few things to do, we don't need to be a huge, happening beach town...small resort town is perfectly fine too.

Any beach recommendations? Or any beaches you would avoid? We are willing to travel a bit (ie. a few hours via car if driving is doable or via a short flight), but don't want to spend a majority of a day traveling. We are planning to visit Istanbul, Ephesus, and Cappadocia (the latter obviously not near any beaches).
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kusadasi, near Ephesus has some good beaches, including some resort hotels and holiday villages like Kustur with its own beach. Basing yourself in or close to Kusadasi will give you both beach and antiquity since the area is anywhere from 15 to 50 miles from Ephesus. Check for kusadasi accommodation on Trip Advisor. I remember a Tusan hotel from some years ago but have not stayed there recently. We stayed at Kismet, it is on a small private promontary with nice rooms and views, but you will need to swim from either concrete or wooden pier built over rocks. however, the sea will be very clean and pleasant.
(breakfast at the hotel is acceptable but you should eat your meals at other restaurants within walking distance)

We also stayed at Omer Holiday Village even a longer time ago. It had decent private rooms and a sandy beach, but I have no idea how it is now,
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM

When in the fall are you planning on going? Turkey is temperate, not tropical and while the coast is very warm in summer it does have seasons. In Oct the high averages about 73 and in November about 63.

So Sept should be good - not sure about after that.
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. NYtraveler - good question - we are targeting around Sept 12-15 time frame for our beach days. From what I read so far, I believe this still works weather wise, but if some beaches would be better during this time frame, please advise.
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Kusadasi sea temperatures average 75 in September and daily weather highs 81.

Antalya daily average temperatures average 86 in September.

Turkey is not a very small country. You will have a difference of anywhere from 10-20 degrees between the Northern and Southern coasts.

There are also many weather sites which will give you monthly averages for all major cities and even smaller resort towns on the Turkish coast.

We usually prefer to do our beach holidays in October because the sea is very warm and the weather is not suffocating.

there are better beaches than Kusadasi, but you will need to fly to them separately from istanbul and would waste precious time.

If you are willing, for mid September,
the best sandy beaches are :
Side
Patara
Cesme
Dalyan

Best pebbly beaches are :
Cirali, Olympos
Hayit Buku (Datca)
Kemer
Beldibi
Goynuk

Best beaches to be accessed by boat from romantic, scenic locations at :

Kas, Includes swimming and/or kayaking over sunken cities
Ucagiz, " " " " " " "
Kalkan,
Kayakoy
Fethiye,
Gocek
Tekirova
Bozburun (Datca)

For Ucagiz and Kas have a look at my trip report,

http://www.fodors.com/community/fodo...lykians.cfm?39
Old Jun 2nd, 2012, 01:51 AM

I may recommend you also Cesme or Alacati; these two seaside towns are located 76Kms ( 47Miles )west of İzmir. You may find a lovely beach of Sifne, Aya Yorgi or even if you enjoy wind surfing in Alacati, is worldwide famous with clubs and marina.. You will find also small boutique hotels owned by local people, with garden and small pools with sitting area, amazing breakfasts with local vegetables, bread, Turkish tea, home made jams etc..

2nd choise may be Kusadasi, a lovely harbour town famous with marina and it's harbour for cruiseships anchoring almost 12months/ year.. National Park in Güzelcamli; a wonderfull nature, deep blue waters, picnic areas, small local restaurants ( very local ) .. or even Ladies Beach in the center may be another choise..

Both will be exciting, both will make you feel in serenity.. enjoy your stay..