Reload this Page >

beach resorts in Italy

Search

beach resorts in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:35 AM
Kevin

beach resorts in Italy

Where is the best beach resorts in Italy?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:41 AM
Nancy

The Italian Riveria, the Amalfi coast, parts of the south west coast and the islands of Sicily, Ischia and Capri (the latter is really part of the Amalfi coast). There is a TON of information on this site about most of the above.<BR><BR>Please note that there are no white sand beach (or even brown sand beaches) or what you might consider &quot;beach resorts&quot; in Italy. Virtually all of the coast and the islands have rocky shores and shale or large pebble beaches. You will find some great hotels, but you will not find large all-inclusive resort hotels with watersports, etc, like in the US.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:42 AM
gac

I've topped my previous posting for your benefit:<BR>&quot;10 Most Beautiful Italian Beaches&quot;

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 08:47 AM
gac

Nancy and Kevin:<BR><BR>if you are looking for a fine white sand beach with lots of watersports, consider the Forte Village Complex at Santa Magherita di Pula, southwest Sardinia, 50 minutes by car south of Cagliari. Very upscale.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:03 AM
Alice Twain

Nancy:<BR><BR>Actually most italian beaches are of the sandy type, even though you have not seen them. The widest sandy beaches are on the eastern coast of Italy, while the western coas of italy tends to have narrower beaches, but still of the sandy type. Only heavily built areas such as Liguria (the region most of you call &quot;riviera&quot;, but it is only TWO of the many itlaian riviere) and Costiera amalfitana. In particular, Liguria used to have narrow sandy beaches until the villages extended right up to the sea front, so that the tiny beaches left were washed away by the sea. Check out XIX century pictures of the ame area that now only have a tiny strip of rocks, you will see sandy beaches! IMHO the best sandy beaches in Italy can be found either in Sardinia or in the southernmost part of Italy (Sicily, Calabria, Puglia). Nice beaches can also be found in southern Tuscany (Monte Argentario and nearby area) and northern Lazio (the region surrounding Rome). The beaches of Romagna and Veneto have wide but too crowded beaches and a rather uninsipiring sea (at least it does not inspire me) but they ar eperfect for kids since they can go pretty far from the shore and still have the water reaching no highier than the chest. Marche have famous beaches such as the very spectacular white sand beach of Numana, Senigallia or Sirolo and the scenic riviera del Conero, a mountain overlooking the sea with several tiny white beaches that can often be reached only fom the sea.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:55 AM
CoachBoy

The best beach resorts are in Costa Smeralda in Sardinia - all Starwood Resorts. Truly spectacular scenery. However, they come at a price: about $1500-2000 day (includes all meals, however for 2). The beaches are spectacular - public too, so you could stay somewhere for less.<BR><BR>Whether it's worth it depends on your financial situation, I guess.<BR><BR>Coachboy<BR><BR>PS. I only paid $150 a night (cala di volpe) through a silent auction :^)