Bavarian/Austrian Essentials

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bavarian/Austrian Essentials

Hi,
Have 4 days and will be based in Munich. I really want to see classic Alpine scenery and atmospheric towns. I can't decide between Innsbruck and Salzburg and was wondering what was more "essential" for scenery and atmosphere (quintessential Austria!) as I only have 4 days and would like to see Munich.
I would really appreciate any comments/advice from those who have been.

Thank you in advance!
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:33 PM

TryBerchtesgaden in Germany very close to Munich even closer to Salzberg i had a great chalet for 30 euros a night very affordable great bavarian food (shwine braten, knudles). Also you can visit Garmish in germany as well close to neuschwanstien castle and Fussen, witch is also beautiful and close to munich.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 06:06 PM

Having been to both Salzberg and Innsbruck, they're both wonderful. The river is wider and the town is a bit bigger in Salzberg. I've also heard that Garmish is terrific. It depends on where you're coming from and where you're going to. We stayed in Innsbruck for a week and traveled to Salzberg for mass and spend the day. It was a nice day trip.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM

If the choice is between Innsbruck and Salzburg, then I think Salzburg is an easy choice. It has more atmosphere, and is better situated. It is one of the most beautiful small cities in Europe.
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Salzburg is nice, as is Mittenwald, Germany.
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 04:47 PM

IMHO Salzburg is hands down a better experience than Innsbruck. Maybe a day trip on the train to Salzburg, bavaria ticket for up to five people is €29. Munich has a lot to offer by itself.

The ultimate essential Austria/Bavaria experience is to take the loop from Munich through Garmish to Mittenwald the backtrack through Garmish to Ettal Monastery, Linderhof, Oberammergau, Wiesekirche, Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein.
Old Oct 20th, 2012, 09:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,

For old towns, between Innsbruck and Salzburg, I'd go with Salzburg. If you want beautiful alpine scenery and a picture postcard village, visit Mittenwald.